Centennial round carbide

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
So, I'm planning to make some John Barraclough's gravers using 1/16" centennial carbide rod. However, the 1/16" only come with standard micrograin, No Ultra Micrograin.

Does the standard micrograin hold up pretty well??

Thank you.
Denny

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Standard is what you want, anything higher becomes more brittle, i made a tip for texturing background that just keeps going and going.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
I bought some 1/8" standard and it seems to be as good as anything else.
Also ordered some of the Ultra fine grain 1/8" to try the other day, should be here Friday.
I will square a couple up and compare them to the fine grain.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
I have both, micro and ultra micro grain, thanks to Carlos, I don't know now, but when I ordered them a year or so ago, they did not ship outside of the USA. gracias hermano.:thumbsup:
My opinion is the ultra micro grain is better for hard surfaces, I recently cut my Leatherman Wave and the micro grain kept breaking, I then used the ultra micro grain and no breakages, the only drawback is the ultra micro grain is only available in 1/8 not 3/32.

"Ultra micro grain,
•Characteristics: General purpose grade, harder and stronger than the other standard grades, may be particularly beneficial when cutting hard-to-machine materials, or for extending tool life in production applications."

Richard.

accesskb

I wonder how these compare to the Chinese made round blanks sold on Aliexpress... I paid about $45 for what amounts to 30 blanks there after recommendation by an engraver on Youtube. Will buy these to try also.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
I just tried a 1/8 ultra fine grade blank.
Ground it to 3/32 square on the shank on my faceting machine/graver sharpener.
Ground fine, polished up easier than the standard grade.
Cuts very bright and clean.
Ultra fine grade is used to make the tiny end mills and extra tough cutters. It should not chip easier.
I haven't had a chance to do any stainless yet, maybe tomorrow.

Latest posts

Sponsors