Critique Request First Time Scroll Attemp

Here are pictures of a practice buck knife I got from GRS, it is my first time engraving scroll and all I've done thus far are curves and lines on brass sheet. The design was lightly laser engraved on there at GRS so it is not my design, this is merely for practicing my engraving technique. For some reason I feel like my cuts aren't the right depth but I have nothing to really go off of, I only see people's final pictures for comparison. I also struggle with tight turns still and have a lot of little mistakes but more room for improvement I suppose. To add, I started cutting on the right and I feel that my first few initial cuts were much worse then the rest. (poor curves among many other things)

Any feedback positive or negative is greatly appreciated. Sam A, let me have it...

Attachments

• IMG_6602.jpg
    IMG_6602.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_6585.jpg
    IMG_6585.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_6598.jpg
    IMG_6598.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 235

Rstripnieks

Im definitely not the one to judge quality of your work,but I could say that you could read a bit about beveling cuts.
Also try to keep your hand steady as possible and only turn your vice into graver. I got that kind of "wobbly"lines when I used to much magnification.

I am getting a new scope soon that has a lower magnification range then my current one which I believe will help but I agree on the beveling. I've read about it in an article by sam and he also discusses it in the scrollwork video I bought. I will definitely continue to practice that, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Looks good for early work and you will get on to the beveling.
A couple of good engraving castings to study will be a great help on depth etc.

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Hi
I don't have much advice to provide since I'm a beginner myself but I wanted to say thanks for posting.
It's good to see fellow beginners posts to put things into context if nothing else.
Jeremy

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
That's a good point, never thought about that. Any recommendations on some?

if you mean for bevel cuts---- start the graver thin. gently roll graver to max width at widest or mid point. then roll graver back to thin at the termination of the cut. this rolling motion must be smooth, or the cut wont look clean.

Just about done with the outlines on the first side, (this is the other half of the first face) might do some copper inlay to add to it and then onto background removal.

IMG_6608.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know that practice plates are boring, however very helpful to see progress. The dog legs in the scrolls are caused buy
1 cutting too fast for you to control i.e. You are getting ahead of yourself
2. You have to stop cutting when you stop turning the vise to reposition your hand. Also don't finger walk the vise to get more rotation.
Get some mild steel practice plates and practice , the boring repetitiveness will build muscle memory
This is a marathon not a sprint. Most of all have fun keep cutting
I just found a new reciever for the first gun I ever engraved, way before I should have tried it. I destroyed the old one so no one would ever see how foolish I was. Dave

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tight curves, just get used to slowing down on the curves. Depth of should be pretty consistent throughout so that when you go to take the background down it's all level at the depth the bottom of your cuts are at. The cuts would be a bit more bevelled that that though, just subtle but you'll get the feel of it. Pretty good for a first attempt. Keep your gravers razor sharp

Latest posts

Sponsors