+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: roll marks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John B. View Post
    I don't know if you were asking me but here is my MO.
    I put a heel and an onglette shape on the graver by hand by holding it at about 15 degrees and rotating it from side to side with a wiping motion on a 600 wheel. I then slightly round just the point to better conform to the bottom shape of the rolled in lettering.
    The round point having with the narrow ongelette cross section behind it allows it to cut tight radius with no side wash.
    You can also do this on a standard ongelette if you are comfortable controlling the cutting depth and width.
    Thank you. I intend to try that. I was given a heavy 14K gold blank to engrave a verse from Proverbs. The block style is my least favorite, but its what they want.

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly how I do my heels also John. It really is quite simple once you get the feel for it. I use onglettes of various widths for this including some oldies i just ground out of drill rod way back when. The onglette actually cuts very smoothly like John mentioned.

3. Likes John B. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I ended up cutting. I didn't have the gravers I needed, so modified a round to an onglette point and cut the letters, then went back over them with a 52 round.

I intend to get the right gravers, modify them for future use and save them for cutting block etc.

5. Likes Dave London liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job on the lettering.
    Best,
    John B.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2