Ray Viramontez

crsides

I recently purchased a S&W 45acp revolver engraved with scroll, gold inlays and gold line work. The right side of the frame under the grips shows what I think is an engravers mark. IT is PV, PJ, RJ or RV. Ray Viramontez is the only engraver that I have come up with that fits. If it is an RV, the leg of the R shares the left leg of the V. Well, I was able to upload a couple pics.

thanks for the help

Charlie Sides

Attachments

• IMG_3407.jpg
    IMG_3407.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_3354.jpg
    IMG_3354.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:

crsides

more scroll work.

Attachments

• IMG_3412.jpg
    IMG_3412.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_3420.jpg
    IMG_3420.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_3423.jpg
    IMG_3423.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 310

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I started out I always admired both Ray and his work and he was an inspiration to me. Unless Sam W disagrees (he is more of an expert on Ray's work) I would say that this was done by Ray. It is everything I remember.

crsides

thanks for both of you for you opinions. I value them highly since it was the answer I was looking for.;):biggrin::biggrin:

I thought the RV stamp would be the determining factor. Anybody seen this on his work before?

Charlie

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Charles,Thanks for sharing the pictures of Ray's engraving,Ray was a great guy you could call him and he would always take the time to give advice and a funny story to tell. J.J.

crsides

And thank you guys VERY MUCH for your help. I am heading out of town but will post some better pics of the whole gun with grips when i get back.

Charlie

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Like Rex and Sam Welch, I can see that the scroll is Ray's. Also the hallmark matches my reference sample shown below.

Attachments

• Viramontez, Ray (RV).jpg
    Viramontez, Ray (RV).jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 121

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I live in Albany not to far from rays home and would stop by occasionally. the last gun I saw of Ray's was a Dougherty County Commemorative commissioned by locale Sporting goods store. A 1894 Winchester Lever Action. A beautiful piece of work. It was for sale. A spec job on the part of the sporting goods store. The last time I saw ray he was in the local saddle/tack store checking on some silverwork they wanted done and he was busy pricing the job. we visited a few min is all. Great guy and helpful when I had a problem. Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors