Question: Background removal with inlay

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another method would be to just tooth the bottom of the inlay cavities real good. Then you don't need to worry about the undercuts. When using 24K gold you don't need a cavity with vertical sides. The sides of the cavity can slant in towards the inside of the inlay.

Perfect, I am going to be trying these out on brass and copper tonight. Additionally, is there a recommended way to finish gold inlays or things to avoid? Can I use polishing compounds like tripoli and red rouge? I imagine from the hammering that it will be fairly work hardened. I usually start by sanding the inlay with a 600 grit but I've heard of this stoning term that I am not quite familiar with yet. Any and all advice/tips welcomed!

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Actually stoning works better than sanding as far as quality is concerned. Sanding tends to undercut the gold some if care is not taken. Neither copper nor brass will work like gold will. Neither one of them will take to teeth very well unless the base metal is pretty hard. When doing inlays other than gold or pure silver I prefer to have a cavity with vertical sides and good undercuts. I recommend practicing with pure silver. Pure silver is cheap.An ounce goes a long ways. What ever you practice with it is not going to work like 24K gold.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I do the final polishing of flush inlay with 1000 grit wet or dry super glued to a hardwood flat stick. You must use a very light touch or it will dish in as Jerry mentions, but it does work for me.

Latest posts

Sponsors