Beginner questions regarding engraving vs hobo nickel engraving?

accesskb

Hi everyone,
On my quest to learn engraving, I came across this new world of hobo nickel engraving. Fascinating and inspiring once again to see the work each artist comes up with. Its something I see myself learning and taking up also. I would assume both engraving and hobo nickel engraving are similar.

If there are differences, would anyone care to explain to a beginner in what aspects? Does it require different ways of cutting, specialized tools and gravers compared to engraving a gun or knife?
Can hobo nickel engraving be done in any types of coins or mainly nickel?

Last but not least, is taking up hobo nickel engraving a good way to get introduced to engraving and eventually work my way into jewelry engraving?

I have tons coins laying around the house and figure I don't have to buy metal plates to start learning to engrave. :biggrin:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hobo nickel "carving" is more of a sculpting technique than flat engraving. It's a great skill builder that will benefit you in all forms of engraving. The tools will be different than what a typical jewelry engraver uses for daily work, plus you'll be stoning and texturing.

IMHO the best introduction to engraving would be to take a beginners class to learn the basics and do nickels later. Of course there are those who have done just the opposite and have done well.

accesskb

Hobo nickel "carving" is more of a sculpting technique than flat engraving. It's a great skill builder that will benefit you in all forms of engraving. The tools will be different than what a typical jewelry engraver uses for daily work, plus you'll be stoning and texturing.

IMHO the best introduction to engraving would be to take a beginners class to learn the basics and do nickels later. Of course there are those who have done just the opposite and have done well.

thanks Sam.. I really wanted to sign up for GRS courses this year but many filled up quick and the distance/time prevented me from committing too early. Will plan it better to take a course sometime later this year.

I enjoyed your dvds I purchased a lot. Its packed with useful tips and detailed.. Worth every penny. Loved the jewelry engraving videos especially! Hope you make more dvds on inlay, overlay and other techniques.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Glad you like my videos :)

After you learn to use gravers for cutting basic designs you'll be much better prepared than just starting off doing hobo nickels which require sculpting and modeling. Not saying you can't do it, but the transition will be easier if you learn basic graver work first.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While the hand skills are similar, there are difffent techniques and methods between jewelry engraving, gun and engraving, and nickel carving. If I wanted to engrave jewelry, I would concentrate on lettering and how to sharpen the gravers for the various styles. coin carving, has much smaller and more precise cuts, that are often more sculpting than engraving, as Sam said. Gun engraving is a different beast all over again. while the muscle memory is very similar between the three, there are definatley different motions that are unique to each endeavor that must be perfected.

Latest posts

Sponsors