Question: difference in GRS machines

WSammut

I've seen plenty of posts about the differences between GRS, Lindsey, and EnSet but havent seen any on the differences of all the different GRS machines. I'm considering getting one and feel a bit overwhelmed with how many there are and cant tell too much of a difference between the Max, Mach, Smith... new version, old version...
Thanks

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The GraverSmith is a no frills beginner or production model. The Gravermax G8 has options for more handpieces and a precision regulator. The Gravermach AT has the capabilities of using the Airtact handpieces which can be controlled with your palm or foot pedal. Any of these do a fine job. I use a Graversmith for a traveling machine. The older model works fine as well, just not quite as quiet. Just make sure you buy from a reputable dealer or direct to avoid any knockoffs.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
As Rex pointed out, you get more features with the G8 and Gravermach AT, but the same quality of work can be done with any of them.

WSammut

Ok thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I was thinking for some reason they had different performance or were better for different uses like the different hand pieces.
Thank you!

Let me add that I have a GraverMax and absolutely love it. Bought it a year old from another member here on the cafe and would say it is my most loved piece of equipment on my bench.

J.Hayes

I have a Graversmith on my bench, used mainly for setting and jewelry repair. In the current line of GRS machines the Graversmith lacks an air shut off solenoid. What this means is the Graversmith consumes air even when off. I simply put a ball valve in my air line and turn the air supply on and off manually. I have an old Gravermax at home and that too required a manual air supply shut off. For what it's worth I really like the Graversmith and the old Gravermax and would definitely buy either again.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
J. Hayes, you are correct. In fact I did the same thing to my old Max in my shop. The G8 and Gravermach AT have the solenoid and it is handy feature but if cost is an issue the valve works fine.

J.Hayes

J. Hayes, you are correct. In fact I did the same thing to my old Max in my shop. The G8 and Gravermach AT have the solenoid and it is handy feature but if cost is an issue the valve works fine.

That valve has become second nature, I don't even think about it anymore