HP Envoy 5660 Inkjet works well for transfer

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi David, glad you are back on the Cafe about the HP Envy 5660.
Thanks for your help in the first place. A fine machine at a good price. Another question if I may.
Do you always use a full sheet of Pictorico film even when printing a small image?
Or do you tape down a smaller cut piece over the image printed on a full sheet of paper as advocated by Andrew Biggs and others to save a ton of $$$ on the cost of film. Question is when using a small piece of film and how you tape it.
With my old printer I just taped down the top edge of the film over the paper image in the direction it fed into the machine.
Is that the drill with the 5660 or does it reverse the feed direction inside the printer, requiring the bottom edge to be taped???
Thanks for your help. Trying to avoid a big printer jam.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for your help in the first place. A fine machine at a good price. Another question if I may.
Do you always use a full sheet of Pictorico film even when printing a small image?
Or do you tape down a smaller cut piece over the image printed on a full sheet of paper as advocated by Andrew Biggs and others to save a ton of $$$ on the cost of film. Question is when using a small piece of film and how you tape it.
With my old printer I just taped down the top edge of the film over the paper image in the direction it fed into the machine.
Is that the drill with the 5660 or does it reverse the feed direction inside the printer, requiring the bottom edge to be taped???
John,

What i do is I first, make an arrow pointing in the direction the paper feeds into the printer, whlie it sits in the tray, i print once and then cut a piece that is slightly larger than the image i tape all sides on the new printer, since it bends when printing, unlike the hp 1010, hope this helps, the arrow serves as an orientation marker, and yes inplace the original printed paper backbin the tray with the arrow facing the same way.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member

Hi John - I do not regularly use the cutting and taping method but I am sure it works fine as described by Carlos. I use Adobe Illustrator for printing my transfers and I use the ruler function (control R) to put ruler guides on the top and bottom of the AI screen I am working on. My guess is that most drawing programs have this function. Then it is easy to locate the image on my screen to match the location I want to print it on my sheet by using a simple ruler. Most of the time after I print out an image I will leave it on my AI screen and then I can simply keep adding the next images to be printed right on the screen without even needing the ruler. Usually I fill up an entire sheet of my Pictorico transparency paper without wasting any at all. I have even cutout small images from my pictorico sheet with a razor knife if I need a smaller piece to work with in a tight spot where a full sheet would be hard to work with. As long as I cut it out from near the center of the sheet and not the edges, the sheet still feeds fine when I use it next time. Let me know if I have confused you with this!

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Carlos and David,
Thank you both for your help.
I see that if I want to use cut pieces of film over the printed image on a sheet of paper I need to tape the top and bottom of the film down.
My old HP printer fed straight through and only needed the top ( lead edge) taped down.
I kinda figured the Envy 5660 had a convoluted feed path so I'm glad I asked and avoided a major feed roll jam.
Again, thank you both.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Np John, one other thing I always cut them square regardless of the print image, helps when taping down

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

metalnart

Thanks for all the info. Now the dumb question. What kind transfer sheet and what fluid coating on metal, if is needed.
Thanks in advance.
Marc

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hello Marc.
The transparency film is Pictorico Premium OPH, 8.5 X 11 inches. Available on the Internet.
The fluid coating for the metal or glass is Tom White's Transfer Magic,
I believe it's available from Tira Mitchell at www.engraver.com
Hope this helps.

takedeadaim

I have one of the 5660 printers as well. I use all Apple devices and found that when I print from the Apple photo app, default for most image types, I set it for Other Photo Paper, and Highest DPI print. Using those settings on the Pictorico film I am able to use the Tom White solution or a 40% Grey Prismacolor marker on the metal and I get great quality transfers using a simple burnishing tool. I adjust the contrast and brightness for the darkest print I can get, clip a piece of the film and tape it over the printed area and send it through the printer again. For the person looking you can get the Tom White solution direct from him at; http://www.twdesignshone.com/ I also found the Pictorico film best price is through B&H Photo and Video in New York.

metalnart

Ok, I ordered the fluid and trans sheets from TW designs web site. Will let you know how works for me. But my printer is the HP 5642, uses 62 ink. I guess might work?
Thanks, Marc

metalnart

Got my white fluid and trans sheets from TW DESIGNS. Works fantastic, better than I imagined. Highly recomend TWs goods.

WSammut

Got this printer for transfers. Did a few that turned out great with no issues, now all of a sudden the ink isn’t drying. I’ve tried printing on different sides of the transparency sheet, I have all the setting listed. Any idea what’s going on?

Latest posts

Sponsors