HP Envoy 5660 Inkjet works well for transfer

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
I had been using an HP Deskjet 1000 for a couple years and it finally gave up the ghost. I tested two new HP printers that both use pigment based ink. An HP OfficeJetPro 6968 and an HP Envy 5660. I decided to keep the HP Envy 5660. It produced a bit cleaner transfers although the other one was not bad. It is an all in one printer so I can also copy and scan if needed. Uses #62 ink refills and is also elgible for the new HP monthly ink plan as low as $2.99 per mo which I applied for. Printer was 89 bucks plus extended warranty and tax.

I tested each printer thoroughly using pretty small, detailed designs I am currently engraving on watch bracelet links. I played with every setting and for the Envy 5660 I came up with the following that seemed to work best...
Paper=Other Matte Inkjet Paper
Color= High Quality Greyscale
Max DPI = Yes

I spent a lot of time dinking around with this but getting good transfers is so important to me it was worth the trouble and I hope it also helps someone else out.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I agree, I have the HP Envy 5660. It works great, easy and priced right. HP printers using #62 ink cartridge should all work, #63 also. There's a chart on Google that tells which printers use which ink cartridge but be sure to check the box when buying a model other than the 5660. I had a different model at the checkstand when I saw it used a different ink even though the chart on Google said #62.

I did a lot of research too and I'm very happy with this printer.

Bobby Branton

On another note, I have the same printer and set it up for wireless and it worked for a few days and not it will not talk to the computer. Have you guys had the same issue???

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
On another note, I have the same printer and set it up for wireless and it worked for a few days and not it will not talk to the computer. Have you guys had the same issue???

Hello David and thanks for the very detailed HP 5660 inkjet printer info. and the settings you use.
My HP 5610 all-in-one died and I need a new one.
Been limping by with just paper Laser transfers for awhile.
Re. Bobby's post is your 5660 hooked up by cable or wireless?

Thank you for the heads up Bobby. Sorry for your problem, hope you find a fix.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
John - I used to have the same one before my deskjet 1000! You really milked that one!

Bobby - so far so good with the wireless on mine but I have only had it up for a couple days now. I did notice that you can also hook it up via cable if needed.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
David,

Is it a black cartridge only?
If it has an option for color will it run on the black cartridge only?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos - it has both a black and a color cartridge. You can elect to use black ink only. Have not tried running it without the color cartridge. No need since with the new HP endless ink program you will get new cartridges in the mail before they run out. Pretty good deal in my opinion.

Bobby Branton

Hooked up to wireless.
It worked a few times, then quit talking to the computer.

John - I used to have the same one before my deskjet 1000! You really milked that one!

Bobby - so far so good with the wireless on mine but I have only had it up for a couple days now. I did notice that you can also hook it up via cable if needed.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Bobby, I assume you have wifi setup. Do the other wifi related devices work such as your phone etc? If so, you might try running the printer installation again. Pretty easy as I remember. Otherwise, if your other wireless devices do not work with wifi then the problem is not the printer but probably your router or whatever. Good luck!

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Mac, I called them up about the wireless hook up and they said I would need to upgrade my computer, I just run it with the cord.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Best buy deal,

I bought the printer that was recommended, the initial start up package for ink refill program was 2.99x2 I believe you pay two months and you get one free, to start, but the cashier said it was free, said it was bundled in, they also had a card for 3 free months of refill services, the gentleman stated that in the box you also get some free months in the box, remains to be seen, printer was on sale, 80 bucks if I remeber correctly, insurance for 2 years was only 10 bucks! Now I can print out all the color images my children's hearts desire. Thank for the printer recommendation. Just an fyi make sure it uses the 62 black ink, as i was looking at some higher models and they went into the 902 cartridge, never tried it so I did not want to ruin a good thing.
The 2.99 refill program your printer must always be on and connected to the Internet at all times. Was told is that your printer automatically detects that it's low and will order it on its own by the time you need it you should have one in the mail

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thank you again for the help and the HP 5660 review David.
And Carlos, I got the same deal as you and what amounts to three months ink free at Office Depot.
They included a black and a color cartridge with the printer and the next two months ink free when I signed up for ink at $2.99 a month.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John,

Its an awsome printer, it can connect to my Google Drive print straight from there, it can also scan to Google Drive, i can email pictures or files to the machine, it has its own email to print from the go, many other features include love this thing, big upgrade from my hp 1010

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you again for the help and the HP 5660 review David.
And Carlos, I got the same deal as you and what amounts to three months ink free at Office Depot.
They included a black and a color cartridge with the printer and the next two months ink free when I signed up for ink at $2.99 a month.

You are very welcome and so glad this is working out for you John. And Carlos, good that you are learning all the tricks you can do with it! I just got my first refills in the mail but won't need them anytime soon. You can easily check the ink levels right from the small screen on the printer which is real nice.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
You are very welcome and so glad this is working out for you John. And Carlos, good that you are learning all the tricks you can do with it! I just got my first refills in the mail but won't need them anytime soon. You can easily check the ink levels right from the small screen on the printer which is real nice.

David and Carlos,
Both you guys can use all the bells and whistles on this thing.
A Luddite like me can barely turn it on and I sure don't have a smart phone to send it pictures or email.
I'll be happy if I can get it to print out decently for Tom White's Transfer Magic.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
David and Carlos,
Both you guys can use all the bells and whistles on this thing.
A Luddite like me can barely turn it on and I sure don't have a smart phone to send it pictures or email.
I'll be happy if I can get it to print out decently for Tom White's Transfer Magic.

John, I also use the Tom White transfer magic (white) and Pictorico transparencies for almost all my transfers. If you have any problems with the printer setup feel free to call or email me and I will try to help you out.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
John, I also use the Tom White transfer magic (white) and Pictorico transparencies for almost all my transfers. If you have any problems with the printer setup feel free to call or email me and I will try to help you out.

Thanks for your offer of help David, much appreciated. Sure I will take you up on it later.
I got it set up OK with the help of the printed materials and the online prompts.
But I'm sure to have a learning curve with the touch screen controls. Gotta figure these things out.
Found out it prints on the side that is down in the paper tray. My old one printed on the side that was up. No biggie.

thejeweler

I have the 5660 also. It keeps the wireless connection to my laptop, my daughter's mac and our phones. For some reason, it sometimes loses connection to my wife's laptop. I always have to remove the printer on her laptop and reinstall it. Just takes a couple of minutes but is really annoying.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Dan (DAK4442) pm'd me a question about how to tell which side of the transparency paper to print on. Dan, your pm box is full so I will post my answer here....

I use Pictorico transparency paper. The top right corner of the Pictorico is clipped off when you are looking at the side to print on. Print on that side only. You will have to flip the paper over when you insert it into the tray of the printer. I just lay it on top of the white paper I keep in there. Works fine. Best to let the transfer solution dry for at least 5 minutes or so. Blowing on the solution helps. I use the back of my fingernail on flat areas and a burnishing tool for other difficult areas. Not too hard, not too soft! Takes a lot of experimenting to come up with the perfect technique.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan (DAK4442) pm'd me a question about how to tell which side of the transparency paper to print on. Dan, your pm box is full so I will post my answer here....

I use Pictorico transparency paper. The top right corner of the Pictorico is clipped off when you are looking at the side to print on. Print on that side only. You will have to flip the paper over when you insert it into the tray of the printer. I just lay it on top of the white paper I keep in there. Works fine. Best to let the transfer solution dry for at least 5 minutes or so. Blowing on the solution helps. I use the back of my fingernail on flat areas and a burnishing tool for other difficult areas. Not too hard, not too soft! Takes a lot of experimenting to come up with the perfect technique.

Thanks David, another way to tell, just in case your not using the whole sheet is to run your nail over the transparency if it sticks that's the side your want to print on, if its smooth use other side, if you print on the smooth side the ink will smear off.

an update on the ink, I had been using only the 61 ink in my hp 1010, in this new printer I tried to use a combination of both cartridges, but the black was what I call not a true black and it was noticeable not when printing but when transferring, so when the auto refill cartridges came in I only installed the the black cartridge, I called HP and asked if I only installed the black one would I still qualify for the auto order program, they said it would, so I am only going to print in black, I'll install the color one when needed only and then remove it

Sponsors