Question: Gold Inlay

I've gone through all the gold inlay forums under the tips archive and had just a couple of small questions regarding the inlay process. In the picture below provided by Sam, I was curious as to what people used to removed the excess gold after hammering it in? I would imagine a flat, however I wasn't sure as many people do things differently. Additionally, when outlining the inlay afterward the picture comments you do the outline on the steel. Does the outline cut ever make contact with the inlayed gold?

Edit: I tried a copper inlay on brass sheet last night and this was my result. I slipped a couple times and will continue to practice but can't wait to try things other than lines!

copper inlay.jpg

Thank you everyone for the help

Attachments

• overlapping_gold_and_scrollwork.jpg
    overlapping_gold_and_scrollwork.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use a polished flat with a slightly rounded heel. I've heard of using a flat made from bronze but never tried it. Shave away the gold but leave it proud. Finally use a stone to bring everything flat. Stoning will remove the excess from the edges and leave the inlay crisp and clean provided it was set correctly. Last step is cutting border if desired. The graver should not cut into the gold. The borders edge should be touching the gold but not cut into it.

I use a polished flat with a slightly rounded heel. I've heard of using a flat made from bronze but never tried it. Shave away the gold but leave it proud. Finally use a stone to bring everything flat. Stoning will remove the excess from the edges and leave the inlay crisp and clean provided it was set correctly. Last step is cutting border if desired. The graver should not cut into the gold. The borders edge should be touching the gold but not cut into it.

fantastic, thank you!

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If the gold is to be flush i just sand it down flush. If it is to be left proud I trim the edges with a bronze or hard brass flat. Sometimes I cut my outline on the gold and sometimes in the steel Depends on what I want the outcome to be.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
here are my gold trimming gravers. they all have spear points, more or less, are highly polished, and have the corners rounded off to help prevent digging in.

Attachments

• IMG_3154.jpeg
    IMG_3154.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_3156.jpeg
    IMG_3156.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 258

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
also, in this crude cellphone screen shot, i handle these areas differently. i would engrave the leaves right across the future path of the gold line, then cut the inlay channel right up to it. the original line would be left intact, then lightly recut after the gold is inlaid and polished back flush. that's what works best for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3157.jpeg
    IMG_3157.jpeg
    31.2 KB · Views: 257

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Layne, I am sorry to disagree with you on one point. When you mention cutting right up to the inlayed metal, gold in this case, you said "Last step is cutting border if desired. The graver should not cut into the gold. The borders edge should be touching the gold but not cut into it." If you follow this procedure you have removed the undercut you so carefully cut to hold the gold in. There should be a very small steel line completely surrounding the gold to insure that the undercut remains to do its job. In my opinion of course.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gold is touchy to engrave because it is so soft. Once one learns the finesse of gold engraving it is not hard to go from one to the other without diving into the gold. Another thing is when installing a gold inlay hammer it in real well and the gold will work harden so that there is not a lot of difference between soft steel and the hardened gold.

Latest posts

Sponsors