Squiggly stuff by Simon.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Simon did a great job with it, but that stuff makes my eyes cross....

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Simon's dang good at the squigglies! That has to take an incredible amount of time to design and cut.

thejeweler

I'm curious...I am a noobie and have not begun engraving but I have always admired the art. I am a custom jeweler who has avoided developing this talent, until now. I have just received my Lindsay Classic and looking forward to learning to cut.

I have learned much lately as I lurked around this wonderful collection of information and inspiration. Had I access to this 30 years ago, I would have already started!

The thing I am curious about is this style. I have seen many conversations and tutorials about scrollwork and learned some of the finer details that make a great scroll different from a good scroll. However, I have not seen much about this more "random" design. Is it looked down upon from a design standpoint or just not as common because of the tedious nature of it? I wonder because the doodles I have drawn over the years, true doodles on papers I should have been taking notes on for my day job, are mostly like this.

I understand the art of this is doing what you feel, the business of it is what the customer wants, but I am interested in how it fits into the engraving community's culture.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a very ornate style, in fact the Italian masters call it "ornato." It is only my opinion, but as a beginner you should study the basic styles of scroll until you can get your head around this kind of thing. After being on this forum for several years, I have seen so many beginners get all wrapped up in trying to emulate advanced styles of ornament, then later we never hear from those people as they have given up.

I have seen several success stories emerge on this forum by folks who start with simple designs, and with help and critique, progress to exceptional work. That seems to be the path to success, unless one is an inherent artistic genius.

thejeweler

I am certainly no genius, artistic or otherwise, but I do understand I may never produce anything like this. I have so much work to do on basic scratches, then lines, then controlling those lines, etc. I was just interested in this style. Drawing doodles is one thing, and I know cutting them with any success is very much another. But also, if you don't set high goals and standards, you will never reach them.

If I have any hope of being any good, it will be because of the inspiration I find from the craftsmen on this site.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When it comes to ornate scrollwork, the only limitation is the imagination. And Phil, your son has a heck of an imagination. And patience as well. This kind of stuff doesn't happen quickly. Either by pencil or by graver.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As Roger mentioned, this is "Ornato" and as far as I know, it is purely Italian style.

For beginners, it is best left until basic scrollwork is understood as it is complicated, it's also structured and needs to balance well.

Many years ago before I became an "engraver" I had a bash at this style, I had only been practicing engraving for a few months and with tools that I experimented with, basically my own, and something that would "cut" as the infomation we have today, was not around then. I remember writing to a Browning engraver and asking him where I could buy the tools, he replied "I can't tell you as it's a trade secret"!

Anyway, here's a practice plate from 1982, which was sent to Mario Abbiatico and was included in one of his early books "L'incisione delle Armi Sportive".

The scene is acceptable...the scrollwork isn't :confused:

The width of the plate is 110mm and the scene 72mm.

BTW, Roger also has work in this book as well as a few other forum members.

Phil.

Last edited:

stick

Wow! First time i see this. Just amazing.. I will not even be thinking of someday engrawing this but i will dream about it for sure. Thumbs up! I just had to write this, this is so fascinating for a newbie like me.

Sponsors