And the Birthday boy is....

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John Rohner is 95 today.

John is the Godfather of the American Engraving Renassaince with one of his engravings first appearing on the cover of the American Rifleman in 1955 and an instructional how to article appearing in Guns magazine in 1956, followed by several others over the years. Many people know him as the R in GRS.

He's a wonderful man and sharp as tack still . If you are an engraver, please give him a call and say HI.

PM me if you need his number.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm so glad to know John Rohner and see him reach 95 years. Though I first corresponded with John for my first book in 1979, it was not until we were personally introduced by Scott Pilkington that we met. John is mentioned in all three of my books with biographies in the first two.

Below are some pictures featuring John.
First an image of John, Scott, and Kurt Horvath at the Eitlejorg museum where we visited with Mike Dubber. Next, John in his USMC uniform from WWII. John is a Purple Heart veteran of the battle of Saipan.

Third, John in the 1970s taken for my first book. And last, is from when I visited John to give him my engraved hammer head. I later grew the beard to be more like John.;)

Attachments

• John Rohner-Kurt Horvath-Scott Pilkington 3-6-10.jpg
    John Rohner-Kurt Horvath-Scott Pilkington 3-6-10.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 171
  • John Rohner USMC-WWII.jpg
    John Rohner USMC-WWII.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 168
  • John Rohner- 1970's.jpg
    John Rohner- 1970's.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 170
  • John Rohner & CRB 2011.jpg
    John Rohner & CRB 2011.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 168

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Happy birthday John! It's been my pleasure to have met you on a few occasions and every time I've come away with knowledge I'd not known before. I have always deemed it an honor to have been asked to do one of your hammers, and my contribution, as a tribute to you, will be seen shortly in "THE ENGRAVER ".

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
birthday wishes for sure. the man left me with good feelings each time we had a chat by phone. always centered on the marvelous device called the gravermeister. the article mr. bleile mentioned in the magazine was totally responsible for my initial interest in engraving. as i recall, there was just enough info in that article by john, to ignite the spark. sadly, i have lost track of the orriginal magazine. again, john-- enjoy a hundred more.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Happy Birthday John! although we've only spoke on the phone, it's as if we've known each other for a long time. Our passion binds us all as one, it is an honor to have spent a moment in time sharing our passion.
Mark

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Happy birthday and a big Semper Fi to you. And a BIG thank you for your contributions to our craft.

Bill

Latest posts

Sponsors