Metalshaper

Been a Newbie here for some time now;)

Life and injuries keep getting in my way, but I keep on trying to draw and learn what feels good and looks good to my eye. Practicing my hammer n chisel when I can ( limited some by a past neck/nerve injury thing ) .. I'm interested mainly in the late 1700's early 1800 style of engraving on muzzle loaders,, of which I build.

One layout thing I see others do, I'd call a sunburst/ flame?? I'm looking at examples and trying to see how others are accomplishing the design? and all designs actually:thinking: i know it should be simple?? but also trying to see 'into' the cuts .. Some look as if they start with straight lines( like a crown ) and add in rounded or triangle cuts to give it a wavy appearance.. others seem to cut the main lines, almost flaring a wavy look by rolling the graver??

am I seeing the cuts correctly? any help or suggestions are welcomed.

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dag,
Send me an email. I found the pictures I have of a gun with multiple starburst examples.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
simply fiddling with a graver can produce a great variety of effects. it's all in the wrist and how one varies the hold.
once you gain sufficint control on doing straight and curved lines, begin experimenting with varrying the wrist while moving along the cut. i have quie a few samples of such effects. if interested, send me a pm.

Metalshaper

Thanks to Dave and Monk for helping me out!!!

I thought I'd show a page of drawings I mess about with at work. I'm a lab tech and have time, in between digests and such, to occupy my mind.
So I don't get into real trouble, I sketch gun parts and attempt to do some scrolls and figure out what is what. Sam uploaded the K.Hunt stuff and that also gave me a kick in the pants. what amazing work!!??

anyways, this page is the result of my last two days at work..a few minutes here.. a couple more there.. drawn with a plain old 0.5 mechanical pencil ( the scrolls are between 1.625 and 1.75 is wide and roughly 0.70 to 0.75 tall )

any hints or tips appreciated
Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Your last photo shows you have the right idea, I could engrave that from a stencil of your drawing. My first suggestion is to take a drawing class or get a good book like "Drawing from the left side of the brain" by Betty Edwards, great book.

Secondly, trace, this will build muscle memory and smooth out your hand.

You,re doing better than you think, you are already understanding scroll construction.

Goo luck

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you have already mastered the greatest hurdle, that is the willingness to practice drawing. after drawing, most everything else will just seem to fall into place.

Latest posts

Sponsors