Process/Tips/Resources to achieve this inlay style

accesskb

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some books, videos, resources where I can learn more about how to achieve something like the image below (gold details on side of ring). Anyone know the process how this was achieved? I want to learn the technique for jewelry purpose. I think it was done in some form of inlay technique. haha

thanks

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I may be wrong but I don't think there is any machine that will do that. Those look like chiseled inlays. I have done a lot of them. I sugest you buy Sam Welch's Video on inlays from the FEGA web site. Then you will have to learn how to chisel them. Practice your chiseling on silver. Chiseling very soft metal takes finess. Nice pattern on the band.

accesskb

thanks I will grab the recommended dvd.. Sam, do you have any recommendations for raised gold inlay? Or is that similar to regular inlay process? haha I have zero experience in this field

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Is it actually inlay? When enlarged there is a visible gap between the yellow gold and the black background,also the yellow gold triangle inside the ring shank.

accesskb

Instagram.com/r_simantov if anyone wants to see more expamples from this artist

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Is it actually inlay? When enlarged there is a visible gap between the yellow gold and the black background,also the yellow gold triangle inside the ring shank.

I don't know for sure Dan, and that's why I said it appears to be. It could be an overlay but that would be risky on a ring that might be subjected to high wear. And then there's the damascene technique. If I were doing it, I think a good inlay with undercuts would be the best choice.

speeedy6

Elite Cafe Member
Just saw the Kelso site of tutorials. I didn't know about it. Thanks DanM for the heads up. Mark

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The inlay inside of the ring simply has a line engraved around it. Engraving a line around an flush inlay gives it contrast. That's my opinion. Photos are deceptive.

Sponsors