10 years!

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Today is an interesting anniversary - exactly 10 years ago I made a first post in this forum asking how to get started with engraving. The usual stuff, which equipment to buy etc etc. Here is the thread - "Starting up". As you can read from the thread, support was massive and very welcoming indeed.

Later in the summer of 2007 I took a GRS basic class from Sam in Antwerp. And the rest, as they say, is history. Here I am, fulltime engraver for 2 years now. How cool is that!

Great many thanks for all the support from this forum. Especially Sam for setting it up and running, and helping to get my first steps in engraving world to the right direction. After the forum I think biggest help has been from Scott, his most excellent Engrave-In's that I had a chance to visit and also 2 weeks that I spent learning more advanced techniques from him. Met many-many nice people at Engrave-In, good memories :).

Here is some of the progress I've made from 0 to where I am now.

2007, after the class, not too hot in the design department, I must say.
engrave_2007.jpg

2008, little bit better:
engrave_2008.jpg

2011, getting better. I made a lot of Zippos around that time...
engrave_2011.jpg

Skipping few years to 2015, when I went full time and worked on a major pistol project:
engrave_2015_1.jpg

Revolver project from last year was a fun one:
engrave_2016.jpg

And to finish off with my latest and most intricate watch engraving to date. 2017, of course:
engrave_2017.jpg

Let's see what the next 10 years bring :)

Jkasal

Thanks for sharing this. It's encouraging to see your progress. You do amazing work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Happy 10th anniversary Viljo! It's been most enjoyable watching you progress from a rank beginner to a fine engraver cranking out world class work. I remember meeting you for the first time at the class in Belgium but I didn't recognize you at first, then realized you're that guy on my forum from Estonia that I sent a video or some tools to!

You're an example of what can happen when you want to learn engraving bad enough. You certainly wanted it, and overcame all the obstacles and put forth the time and sweat to make it happen. Us old timers will pass the torch you younger guys as you bring the engraving art to new heights and new places.

I admire you in a lot of ways. Your English is better than most American's, and I share your insatiable curiosity for nerdy things. Most of all, I admire your humbleness. That is truly a great quality.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the forum can only plot a path for you. you must make the journey. it appears the ten years have been a success.your work certainy speaks a lot for you as an individual.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Congratulations Viljo! It is always a pleasure to see your work and progress.

Great memories from our meeting in Brescia too... wonderful days shared with really nice people! :)

All the very best,
Leonardo

PS. Found a picture shot in our visit of Engraving Studio Frédérique Lépinois. From left to right, Elena, Frédérique and Viljo.

Attachments

• Elena_Frederique_Viljo.jpg
    Elena_Frederique_Viljo.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I always enjoy seeing what comes off your bench Vilts. You are producing some exceptional work of the highest standards! I appreciate your participation here!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Viljo,

When I first met you I joked that you were the best engraver in Estonia (because you were the only engraver in Estonia). I had no idea how prophetic those words were. I might expand that to "best engraver on the Baltic."

If it wasn't for Viljo, I probably would have never gotten to Estonia. My wife and really enjoyed it. They grow some tall people in Estonia. :)

Attachments

• Talin Estonia-38.jpg
    Talin Estonia-38.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 242

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What a decade you have enjoyed ! You are determined and talented individual and will achieve what you desire. Glad to have had a part in your success!

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
See, that's what I'm talking about this forum. Massive support and encouragement :).

And not to speak about the knowledge. Pick a topic and it's pretty sure someone knows something about it...

Happy 10th anniversary Viljo! It's been most enjoyable watching you progress from a rank beginner to a fine engraver cranking out world class work. I remember meeting you for the first time at the class in Belgium but I didn't recognize you at first, then realized you're that guy on my forum from Estonia that I sent a video or some tools to!

You're an example of what can happen when you want to learn engraving bad enough. You certainly wanted it, and overcame all the obstacles and put forth the time and sweat to make it happen. Us old timers will pass the torch you younger guys as you bring the engraving art to new heights and new places.

I admire you in a lot of ways. Your English is better than most American's, and I share your insatiable curiosity for nerdy things. Most of all, I admire your humbleness. That is truly a great quality.

Yep, I'm definitely a nerd. No doubt about that :). Fun to think that you started your engraving career the same year I was born... I've still ways to go

Congratulations Viljo! It is always a pleasure to see your work and progress.
Great memories from our meeting in Brescia too... wonderful days shared with really nice people! :)

All the very best,
Leonardo

PS. Found a picture shot in our visit of Engraving Studio Frédérique Lépinois. From left to right, Elena, Frédérique and Viljo.

Thanks, Leonardo! That Italy trip was total blast. Good people, excellent food, worldclass engravers.

When I first met you I joked that you were the best engraver in Estonia (because you were the only engraver in Estonia). I had no idea how prophetic those words were. I might expand that to "best engraver on the Baltic."

If it wasn't for Viljo, I probably would have never gotten to Estonia. My wife and really enjoyed it. They grow some tall people in Estonia. :)

I think we should create a list of countries with no engravers and then I can easily say I'm the best in that list :). I really hope few more engravers start in Estonia. I taught one young fella for a few days and another one took 5 months of classes from Martin Strolz at the school he teaches in. His practice plates were very nice indeed.

What a decade you have enjoyed ! You are determined and talented individual and will achieve what you desire. Glad to have had a part in your success!

Thank you, Scott!

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
We enjoyed meeting you in Tallinn six years ago. You were very gracious, and it's a stunning city.

Latest posts

Sponsors