Question about polishing gravers

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When using the ceramic with the diamond spray my ceramic wheel gets a sort of buildup on it like hardened wax.
When it does this I spray it with glass cleaner and just go on using it.
Question is - do any of you guys or gals use anything on the ceramic wheel like oil or any kind of fluid besides the diamond spray??

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Jerry I just wash all mine off with water and dawn.
Just dry off the stones and ceramic.
Respray ceramic with diamond spray.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry,
You may be using too much spray. The proper use of the spray is to shake the bottle well, turn on wheel on the power hone and give it ONE good spray of diamond. This will provide plenty of diamond for use and not cause the build.

Jkasal

When using the ceramic with the diamond spray my ceramic wheel gets a sort of buildup on it like hardened wax.
When it does this I spray it with glass cleaner and just go on using it.
Question is - do any of you guys or gals use anything on the ceramic wheel like oil or any kind of fluid besides the diamond spray??

Thanks for this thread, I thought I was the only one with this problem. I think I will try the dish soap and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i tried using diamond paste a few years ago because it's what i had on hand. it actually worked pretty well until i put it away in a plastic bag for a few months. when i tried to use it again the paste had congealed into an impenetrable wax coating. didn't matter how hard i pushed down on the graver point, it would just glide across the waxed surface like a skating rink.

as i remember, i stripped it off with acetone...

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
0.5 micron diamond powder on a cast iron lap polishes gravers better than anything I've ever used. I rarely use a ceramic lap now, and my diamond spray is in a storage cabinet.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam.
I have a cast iron lap but have never used it. Is there a prep. that must be done before use of it? Do you just use it dry or what?

Sam

Staff member
Sam.
I have a cast iron lap but have never used it. Is there a prep. that must be done before use of it? Do you just use it dry or what?

No prep. I just put a very small amount of diamond power on the surface and spread it around as evenly as I can with my fingertip. Diamond spray works too, but not nearly as well as diamond powder. IMO, the spray doesn't deposit enough of the diamond particles.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I suggest you to watch Mr. Chris Decamillis bulino DVD, he has a very good demonstration about polishing gravers and as I remember he was using alcahol on cast iron lap which charged with diamon spray before.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been thinking about getting s cast iron lap but don't understand how the diamond powder won't cut into it or how a carbide graver might scratch or cut groves in it.

laps of all kinds- cast iron, lead, wood, etc.- work on the principle that the superhard abrasive crystals embed into the soft lap material then they can cut the hard material being polished, or "lapped". a soft cast iron lap charged with diamonds can cut/polish carbide or HSS because of this, but yes, one does need to exercise some care not to wear grooves in the lap itself. move the tool point around a bit and don't get in the habit of using the same 'track'.

Sam

Staff member
Exactly. Cast iron is many times softer than carbide and is just a carrier for the diamond power. Sweep across it gently and you'll be rewarded with a mirror polish on HSS or carbide gravers.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
Diamonds themselves are cut and polished on cast iron.
An aluminum cleaning rod can damage the rifling on guns if it is allowed to pick up grit.
The soft material grabs and holds the abrasive, the harder metal/stone gets abraded away.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hard to believe-- but a few years ago i recvd. a goodly supply of cd disks that were going to be destroyed. i actually used a few on my grs powerhone. not too efficient at roughing, but quite decent for polishing. they would soon develop scratches and grooves, and had to be frequently replaced. the store-bought stuff is much to be preferred.

Latest posts

Sponsors