Question: chatter

Lindamc

I finally have my GRS system up and running and my gravers sharpened. I've been practicing as much as I have time for, and I continue to experience chatter in my engraving. Why? The choices I can think of are that my heel isn't right (though I think I'm using all the techniques Sam suggests), my GRS Gravermach AT settings aren't right, or my compressor isn't at the right setting. Anyone have any suggestions on what is causing this? On what settings I should set my system to?

Jkasal

I use oil of wintergreen. That helps cut a little smoother. It especially helps with doing western bright cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I don't suppose it could be that your "work material" isn't securely held in a way that prevents vibration?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i'm with Chris. is whatever you're engraving on clamped solidly?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't suppose it could be that your "work material" isn't securely held in a way that prevents vibration?
I also agree, one more thing make sure the screws in your collet are also nice and tight, some have one and some have two screws. Also make sure your collet has the o ring installed and your collet is not loose fitting.

Wait where is the charter coming from? Your handpiece?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Do all the obvious first. Check the settings on the compressor 45-60 psi going in the Gravermach. Check settings on the machine from instructions. A 901 will work around 20 psi and 2300 SPM. Make sure tool is tight, work is tight and tool is sharpened correctly. Let the tool do the work and don't force/push it.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
When doing a practice plate I cover the back with painters tape. Then I hot glue it to a small wooden block smaller than the practice plate. Lock The wood in the vice so the plate is slightly above the surface of the vice. When finished, use a heat gun to remove it from the block. Take the tape off to avoid sticky glue on the Practice Plate.

Lindamc

Thank you all SO much for your replies! I tweaked a bunch of different things tonight, trying some of your suggestions out and I think it is more or less figured out. For sure, my work is being held in securely, so that isn't an issue. I lowered the setting on the compressor a bit, and dialed back the setting on the Gravermach a bit. I do think that helped. I'm still a bit new at hearing where the change of vibration is when setting that. And then I actually made my heels larger. I think mine were way too small. In my reading, I see Sam saying to have the heels on a 120 degree graver at 1/4mm and at .4mm. Those are different, but mine were even smaller. I think now it might just be practice, practice, practice! Also, I will put oil of wintergreen on my List Of Things To Get Soon. I used to use that on my burs in my goldsmithing, but it has been decades since I've used it. It would be nice to have around again. Anyway, thanks again. This site is clearly as helpful and friendly as advertised!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would skip on oil of wintergreen, bad stuff to inhale, id just stick to mineral oil.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk