An 1876 Winchester i am working on

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ut at our show in Las Vegas I had on my table an 1876 I was starting to engrave some scenes on. The first photo is what I had to show back then. right front frame.jpg left side stagecoach.jpg Since then I have almost finished the larger scene with a stagecoach on the left side. Here is a picture of where I am with it at this point in time. I did send Andrew a slew of in progress photos of this to use in an upcoming newsletter. Sorry for the poor quality but considering they are hand held cell phone photos I cant really complain
Hope you enjoy them

J.B.

Absolutely amazing!! I wish I could be a fly on your bench scope while you work. Would love to see how this is done!

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Master Rabeno

Your knowledge of the Force is apparent in you work.
You set the bar high.
Even the great Chewbacca would find it difficult to touch.
As your padiwan, I can only hope the Force will be with me a fraction of your degree.
A greater teacher would be difficult to find.
May the Force always be with you.

Obi Van

stick

Just Amazing! Thumbs up! This is motivation for me and all newbies to try and get better and better. When i grow up i want to be engraving like this.. hehe.. keep dreaming..
Can i ask you mr. how do you do the picture.. meaning, do you outline the picture and then go to details? I imagine that such details can't be transfered with any method / laser or ink...
I am having trouble when laser transfering, that i only get the main outline because fine details can be blury when transfering (like the cowboy 2nd from right - where his coat overlaps the horse) Then i have to like asume where the details go and can mess up quite a lot. Any additional info will be much appreciated. Thank you, and thanks for sharing this.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good morning and thanks so much for the wonderful comments. Like I mentioned i have sent Andrew about 20 photos i took while working on this and it should show how I progress with my cuts while doing this. Like I have always said "I engrave the same way that I draw".
Stick...to answer you question...I just transfer the main outlines and then build up shadows and details from that point. I do change things as I go along as things always look different on metal than paper. At times you just have to walk away from it for a few days to look at it fresh and see what you are missing. you do get tunnel vision.
Here is one photo that I sent Andrew for the article which I still have to write details for him. As an interesting note on this, the part that worried me the most was the wagon wheels. I was unsure how to create the illusion of them spinning through some dust so I engraved it with just some varied shadow lined in places. I got lucky.
4.jpg

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn
The game plan is to have this finished and together for or show this coming Jan for display and the client can take it home with him then also. I just ordered some molding rubber to make castings of it also. Sorry we didn't spend more time talking this last show.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Absolutely fantastic inspiration! I have a pre '64 Winchester '94 I'm looking to do something with and your work inspires me to set my goals high. Thank you for posting your work and progress pictures.

Bill

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Always a pleasure to see what comes off your bench Marty. The best engravings of this type tell a story and your's speak volumes. I do hope you cast it. I have several of your castings here in the shop and they have been instrumental in my advancement.

Latest posts

Sponsors