Max picture resolution;1600x1200/ Max video resolution:640x480
Microscope has ¼â€￾ threaded base: same as any camera for tripod use
Includes suction cup base and flexible goose-neck adjustable arm
Includes graduated mounting plate for suction cup
Compatible with Windows 10/8/8.1/7Vista/XP SP2+ and Mac OS x10.11.x-10.4.9
USB 2.0 port required
No batteries required
Imported

The pictures were too small to upload, looks pretty cool, about the size of a beer can. Uses a computer screen for monitor. I don't have a link for that page but go to Duluth Trading Co. and do their search for digital microscope.

Does anyone know anything about this kind of thing? Looks like it could be a budget priced alternative to big expensive scopes. I'd sure like to know.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nope..
WAY too much power. Most are using 3.5X to 20X. Working off a screen is two dimensional as well. Nobody I knows can work off a monitor for engraving.
Sell something, work harder and get the correct scope. The sooner you get the RIGHT STUFF the longer you have to appreciate it.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Yeah... way too much magnification, WAY too short of a working distance, and for added fun, absolutely no depth perception because it's "monovision" instead of stereo... so we CAN all afford it, but we really can't use it!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the inexpensive digiscopes aren't suitable for engraving. even if the power was correct, there's no room at all for ones' hands to get in there and do work. secondly-- the image is not 3-d, or stereo as some call it. thirdly-- the imaging output of the several brands i've tried-- well, not so good for those with high expectations. i have used them recently to take digital video of live protozoa. imaging , adequate, but not good enough for discerning eyes.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another thing to consider - focus. I have a small digital microscope which shows stuff great.... until you move it. If you want to zoom in on something that is not moving it can show you a good picture. If you are trying to move the object, like trying to work on it, then the depth of field is so shallow that you are out of focus most of the time. It's too bad because it seems like it would work, but I have not had luck with it for demonstrating at shows, etc. To be clear - I haven't had luck with my digital microscope - I haven't tried the set-up you specify above. For movement I've gone to a camcorder with zoom and autofocus when I'm not using the trinoc.

monk

Staff member
Another thing to consider - focus. I have a small digital microscope which shows stuff great.... until you move it. If you want to zoom in on something that is not moving it can show you a good picture. If you are trying to move the object, like trying to work on it, then the depth of field is so shallow that you are out of focus most of the time. It's too bad because it seems like it would work, but I have not had luck with it for demonstrating at shows, etc. To be clear - I haven't had luck with my digital microscope - I haven't tried the set-up you specify above. For movement I've gone to a camcorder with zoom and autofocus when I'm not using the trinoc.

tira: what is the name/model of the digiscope you have?

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
If you really want a digital microscope/camera, then I can highly recommend this one:

DSCF9588_800.jpg

Camera body - 130 USD

Lens - 33USD

Video from the cam looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCZbVo4B64

But of course that's just for recording, I can't imagine actually engraving with just this. That'd be odd. But as an extra camera it's nice, hdmi output, saves to sd card and has 720p resolution.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
If you really want a digital microscope/camera, then I can highly recommend this one:

View attachment 41151

Camera body - 130 USD

Lens - 33USD

Video from the cam looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCZbVo4B64

But of course that's just for recording, I can't imagine actually engraving with just this. That'd be odd. But as an extra camera it's nice, hdmi output, saves to sd card and has 720p resolution.

Dear Vilts,

Could you please let us know more about this system.
I see there is a microscope there, what happens if I remove microscope and watch the tv/computer screen.

Does this digital cam can be watched at the same time while it is running.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I see there is a microscope there, what happens if I remove microscope and watch the tv/computer screen.

Does this digital cam can be watched at the same time while it is running.

Yes, you see the video from monitor (HDMI output) all the time, whether it's recording or not. So one could use it instead of microscope, not sure how convenient it is, though. There is a slight delay on the video, about 100-200ms or so. It is noticeable only on fast movements, so shouldn't be a problem for engraving. Unless you're really-really fast :)

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
You can pick up a used Elmo document camera for less than $50. Up to 16x optical zoom, nearly 5 inch depth of field. Used these at a Community College and they are amazing. The problem for engraving is where do you put the screen? The camera head is large and in exactly the wrong spot to put the screen behind the vise at a comfortable viewing angle. It would be interesting to see what you could do with a high resolution digital SLR and the right lens.

Latest posts

Sponsors