Fox and duck

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
The customer requested a fox with a duck in it's mouth. While researching it I found out it's a old English fable about greed and gluttony. Here is what I came up with this is my first try at something like this so it is on a piece of scrap metal. feel free to critique all you want I obviously need help.
Thanks,Leland

Attachments

• DSC02255 (640x401).jpg
    DSC02255 (640x401).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 277

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Leland, thanks for sharing this.
A good first try and I'll let some of the more artistic members offer their constructive help.
Few things. The duck is way too small in proportion to the fox and a fox would have trouble holding it around the wings and body.
It takes a good size gun dog to hold a duck like that. With their small mouth a fox would usually grasp it by the neck or a wing.
With the fox holding it's buddy I doubt that another duck would still be around and just getting off the water.
Hope you get some help with your project.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
John, thank you for the comments. The fox and duck was done from a photo taken by a friend who is a professional wildlife photographer. In the photo the fox is holding the duck just like this the only change I made is the ducks head in the photo has been chewed on. I think it was a green winged teal a very small duck. I drew the head on the photo is kind of gruesome.
Thanks again, Leland

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Leland,My advise would be to take drawing class in animal anatomy,or where are three books I would recommend to start with, How to Drawing Animals by Jack Hamm,Drawing American's Wildlife by Doug Lindstrand and Drawing Animals by Norman Adams & Joe Singer. J.J.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
JJ, If you have time could you please point out what is wrong with the anatomy of the fox. I transferred a photo of a live fox with a duck in it's mouth on to the metal and cut it. I am having trouble understanding how the anatomy can be off, probably the way I cut something. I am not trying to be difficult just trying to understand what you are telling me. I ordered the books you recommended.
Thank you for your time, Leland

JJ Roberts

Leland,I would like to see the photo you used of the fox & ducks,sad to say but your fox & ducks looks cartoonish if you want to become an engraver you need to learn how to draw it's an art. J.J.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
JJ, here is the photo I used. I agree completely with what you said about drawing I work on it.
Thanks

Attachments

• Fox and Duck (1).jpg
    Fox and Duck (1).jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 119

JJ Roberts

Leland,I started drawing as when a young boy watching TV artist Jon Gnagy Jon show you the anatomy of a drawing and made it simple,you'll find many artists follow Jon Gnagy's drawing technique today.Go out of your way and learn how to draw that the only way you'll be successfully. J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors