Titanium Engraving Question

NateFyffe

I'm curious if anyone might have input as to which titanium alloys may be more friendly than others to engraving.

I have not yet experimented with any but I have a handle that is Ti-6A1-4V which I thought about engraving. Figured I would see if anyone had feedback beforehand

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i obtained a batch of ti that was said to be "commercial pure". no other info about the stuff. it cuts quite nicely by hand. it lasers well, never tried cnc engraving on the stuff.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
NateFyffe: The 6AL4V is pretty tough to engrave, especially if it has been machined or ground on, then bead blasted. I use a 120 degree C-Max tool with a dubbed tip. Lubricate your tool and make sure you have the piece securely held, as any vibration will wreck havoc with your tool. Good luck!

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
6AL4V is commonly known as Grade 5 Titanium. It is quite hard and tough to engrave, but not impossible. Use C-max or Carbald gravers with a dubbed point and a lubricant will also aid cutting.
Grade 1 and Grade 2 Titanium is known as pure and commercially pure Titanium and it cuts much easier than the grade 5. But dubbing the grave point is still needed as well as a lubricant.

NateFyffe

Thanks Jan I'll have to look into maybe trying out something made from grade 1 or 2 before trying this grade 5 material I have

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
MTC 6al4v is not that hard to engrave ,the lube helps. I use a carbalt 116 graver. Also it cuts like cast iron kind of crumbles ahead of the tool,no nice chips or curls. YMMV

Attachments

• IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
6AL4V is commonly known as Grade 5 Titanium. It is quite hard and tough to engrave, but not impossible. Use C-max or Carbald gravers with a dubbed point and a lubricant will also aid cutting.
Grade 1 and Grade 2 Titanium is known as pure and commercially pure Titanium and it cuts much easier than the grade 5. But dubbing the grave point is still needed as well as a lubricant.

i have a bracelet half done in this ti. what kind of lube do you use on yours ? i will give that a try when i'm ready to finish.

Jan Hendrik

Elite Cafe Member
i have a bracelet half done in this ti. what kind of lube do you use on yours ? i will give that a try when i'm ready to finish.

I use WD-40 lubricant. I spray some on a cotton ball which I placed in a plastic container. I then dab the tip of my graver on the cotton ball in between cuts. When I am done working I just put the lid on the container.
WD-40 is essentially mostly fish oil.

Latest posts

Sponsors