knife, What I have learned...

Diacutter

I'll chalk this one up to a "what I have learned" project. This is the first time I have attempted to engrave a knife. The project is a stainless steel inexpensive folder I picked up for $9.00. Not sure what type of stainless it is but it was NOT a pleasure to engrave.

What I learned:

1. Spend more time on proper layout and design. It is unwise to layout smaller sections at a time and continue to make corrections on the fly.(at least at my current skill level)

2. Patience, Patience, Patience. 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there etc... Take your time and enjoy the process. Don't put yourself in a situation to hurry to the end.

3. Take the time to set up your work station properly. Its amazing how fast your neck or back will be affected if your not comfortable.

4. Mount you work piece properly. Even the slightest movement will cause your work to suffer. Broken graver points, inferior results, etc..

After this experience I better understand why engravers set up their benches the way they do.

5. WORK ON YOUR DRAWING SKILLS.

At this point I think it is time for me to make a serious commitment to design and drawing. So for now I will put down the graver and pick up a pencil and concentrate on scrolls and blackleaf.

Attachments

• IMG_20170311_130604484.jpg
    IMG_20170311_130604484.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 244

Rstripnieks

Looks interesting,
Yes my first stainless knife was pain to engrave
HSS tips from 96 degree broke one after another ,I changed to 120 degree point and it lasted a bit longer but still I cant understand what I did wrong

Diacutter

I tried hhs, m42,glen steel, etc.. the tips kept rounding. I ended up using c-max. Lots of broken points. After I stabled my work piece, I slowed my rate of attack, this seamed to help the most. In the end I would sharpen 3 gravers at a time (in a 120 degree 55 face and 15 heal) . On the up side, I can sharpen a 120 in my sleep...so I have that going for me.

Dave