Deeper cut with narrower graver

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi,

Actualy I am not sure where to begin or how to ask this question but I will try to explain it with this drawing.

When I cut with large geometry like 100 - 105 - 110 and 120 lines are darker, but when I cut with narrower geometry like 75 - 80 - 90 lines are shiny and I need to put paint in those cuts.

When I look at the this drawing, the black graver ( 105 degre ) doesn't go deeper but it cuts larger line. When I try to cut the line with red graver ( 75 degre ) and go to same deep it cuts narrower lines,

How about if I go deeper with red graver ? If I go a little bit deeper it cuts as large as black graver, but result is the same, no matter how deep I go I still have shiny cuts with red one.

Does anybody explain this to me ?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 217

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would think the opposite would be true. The wider flatter cut will reflect back at you as long as the graver was polished. I use a much steeper graver for all my shading. Since 90% of everything that I cut is inked, the steep, deep cuts hold ink much more readily than the flatter shallow cuts of the 105-120.
Each graver has it's place and purpose and can be used for different effects.
One thing that you could be seeing, and I know this from my experience at the jewelry bench is that a very highly reflective surface reflects all of the colors back at you and can appear dark at times. A silver plate that was sanded with say, 600 grit would appear white, while the polished plate would be darker because it's reflecting the surroundings back at you.
My question is this. If you are trying to achieve a very dark piece, then why not just ink it as is standard practice?
Also we just discussed, in a thread that I started, the fact that if you are going to ink a piece, there is no reason for a super high polished graver as the cuts don't hold ink as well as one that's not high polish.
I'd be curious what others will chime in with.