DIY "bulino" graver holder

stick

Hello everybody,
I would like to share my homemade graver holder for "dot bulino" engraving. I like to share this so newbies like me can make something like this if they like. It's really simple and cheap.

Question:
I don't know much about bulino engraving. So my question goes like this:
Is this "dot stabbing'" also caled bulino engraving? I don't flick the burs out i just poke little holes in the metal and can make shades pretty well (for a newbie)

Yeah i know "bulino" is graver or burin, but how else can i call this type of engraving?

Thanks for looking and feel free to critique.

Attachments

• IMG_20170311_095828.jpg
    IMG_20170311_095828.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_20170311_095905.jpg
    IMG_20170311_095905.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_20170311_095921.jpg
    IMG_20170311_095921.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Stabbing a dot into the steel can result in a furrow of metal being raised around the dot. A tiny pick-out of metal when making the dot is the preferred method in most cases.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yeah i know "bulino" is graver or burin, but how else can i call this type of engraving?

The more specific word would be "puntini" but the word bulino has been misused so widely, for so long that the engraving and collecting community know what you mean when you say bulino or dot bulino. It has gotten to the point that many folks on the engraving forums call every kind of non-relief scene or figure "bulino."

stick

Yes, i make furrows around the dot. But when i want to make a really dark/black image i make so many it looks like it was stippled. I can be stippling this, but the image is so delicate and small that i can't stipple but must use this tool that i have made and use a lupe. If i want to pick-out the metal i will have to make a proper bulino graver geometry (i have yet to learn this).
Thank you for the info.

stick

The more specific word would be "puntini" but the word bulino has been misused so widely, for so long that the engraving and collecting community know what you mean when you say bulino or dot bulino. It has gotten to the point that many folks on the engraving forums call every kind of non-relief scene or figure "bulino."

That's what i wanted to know. "puntini" yes! Thank you so much for the info mr. Bleile

Sam

Staff member

Right you are, Roger. "Bulino" in Italian is the graver itself, commonly called "bulino normale" for normal graver.

Rstripnieks

Many new engravers may get confused when they watch Bulino tools in videos on youtube etc. They look like stiple tool but they have a tiny geometries on point ,they are very small therefore engraver can more accurately see point and place it in corect spot , PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG
I learn Bulino using Lindsay graver shapeners ,sharpening graver but without heel. They are foolproof .

stick

Many new engravers may get confused when they watch Bulino tools in videos on youtube etc. They look like stiple tool but they have a tiny geometries on point ,they are very small therefore engraver can more accurately see point and place it in corect spot , PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG
I learn Bulino using Lindsay graver shapeners ,sharpening graver but without heel. They are foolproof .

I fall into this category of people too. Yeah i will start to learn to make these geomeries also. I started with a simple sharp point, but i now know that proper geometry is more versatile and correct. More to learn and thats fun. Thanks for the info. Enjoy

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
both grs and lindsay tools sell gadgetry that makes creating specific geometries a breeze. check the tip section on the forum. there's likely the info you seek right there. as a newb, one need not fuss about all of them. far better to start out from the gitgo with the best one. good luck

stick

both grs and lindsay tools sell gadgetry that makes creating specific geometries a breeze. check the tip section on the forum. there's likely the info you seek right there. as a newb, one need not fuss about all of them. far better to start out from the gitgo with the best one. good luck

I will do that for sure. Thank you so much for the help. I appreciate it a lot.

Sam

Staff member
A simple square graver without a heel can make a dandy tool for Italian style dot engraving.

stick

A simple square graver without a heel can make a dandy tool for Italian style dot engraving.

Wow, that's awesome, I do have some spare square graver blanks that I just knew they will turn to something pretty awesome one day. I have a long journey ahead of me.. that's awesome. I learned a lot today, thanks to all of you here on this forum. Thank you.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Nejc,
May I compliment you on both your enthusiasm and your use of the English language. I take it that English is not your primary language.
Both are remarkable and a pleasure to read. If you use a translation program it is a good one as it even has the idiom right.
Have fun with your engraving and keep posting.

stick

Nejc,
May I compliment you on both your enthusiasm and your use of the English language. I take it that English is not your primary language.
Both are remarkable and a pleasure to read. If you use a translation program it is a good one as it even has the idiom right.
Have fun with your engraving and keep posting.

Thank you for your kind words. I am from Slovenia, but i can speak English quite well. I don't use translate, but i did for the word "idiom" hehe.. Yes i have a huge interest in engraving and over the period of 4 months i have gathered more tools and gadgets then a squirrel does nuts. I hope i will be able to engrave to old age. It's a kind of meditation for me. Thanks again.

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
stick, gathering and collecting engraving tools becomes as addicting as the engraving itself. Ask anybody on this forum, they will probably tell you the same thing. Not that it is a bad thing

stick

stick, gathering and collecting engraving tools becomes as addicting as the engraving itself. Ask anybody on this forum, they will probably tell you the same thing. Not that it is a bad thing

It's great collecting new tools. Somehow everything requieres a proper tool. I guess i still have a lot to gather LOL. Thanks for the comment. I appreciate it.

stick

I have made a square graver with no heel now. I am working on a parot bulino picture now using this graver and i have to say it works perfectly. No more "stipple punching", but proper dot bulino now. Now i understand how this works. I also bought Chris D. DVD for bulino engraving and now i have a clear picture about it. Thank you Sam. Only one thing that i found out.. i purchased 2 DVD's from Engraving-videos.com. But i wanted to buy one more DVD and couldn't because the site only lets payment be made with visa and some other cards...no more paypal? I bought previous DVD's with PayPal, but now i can't ? Is this final or will PayPal be used again in the future?
Anyway Thanks again. I hope everyone has a lovely day.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

this is what i use, but my dot bulino gravers have almost no heel. i put maybe 2 degrees on the heel faces to allow for polishing the factory ground surface without having to polish the entire sides.

Latest posts

Sponsors