My scrollwork evolution

Rstripnieks

The new lighter I just sold ,was my practice piece for scrollwork. I have moved a bit forward since december when I engraved my first scrollwork
I hope your critique will help me boost my learning

Attachments

• IMG_20161212_203250.jpg
    IMG_20161212_203250.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_20170312_133715.jpg
    IMG_20170312_133715.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 341

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The large scrollwork is good and shows great potential. The small scrolls in your first example are a bit rough. You have a couple of wonky backbones in the large scrolls so be really careful about that. Also some areas of negative space that could use some filler leaves to balance it out. I applaud your efforts!

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Coming along nicely. Of course backbones are the first priority as Sam mentioned and I'll add that one thing I like to see in a design is good flow. Some kind of origin point with the scroll design leading the eyes around harmoniously from that area. As another much more talented engraver here once told me. A viewer can overlook some flaws in cutting technique as long as the design work is superior.
Cheers and keep it up!

Rstripnieks

Thank You Sam and Layne!
I am really sucking up information about everything lately although I started year ago with carving coins and scrolls who looked like question marks I progressed slowly but lately my design are improving not by month but by week or even days. Shading is not easy but helps to understand scrolls better and since I started shading my work my mind has blowed im doing project after project and when im finnished with one I examine it ,try to find all my mistakes and correct them in my next design .
Flow and space filling is still to learn and long way to go but I cant wait to draw my next piece . Righ now im doing bulino project. Im switching between techniques because It kinda helps me understand my designs better and think ahead. When I mix them together they should compliment one another ,thats my goal. Im Thinking big and I have set high expectations for me till end of this year and im really going hard on myself and im trying to criticize myself as hard as possible so even with one bad backbone im dissapointed . So practice ,practice ,practice for me.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the first lighter: chock full of illbegotten spines. chaotic to my eye. too much packed in there. the lighter begs to have a decorative border around the scrollwork. 2nd lighter,,, much improved. jm2cw

Jkasal

I really like your use of shadow in the second picture. It's obvious you have an artistic eye. As the viewer, it is very easy for me to understand the depth you are trying to create. In other words, the illusion of what is closest to the eye, and what is furthest from the eye is executed well.

I am no expert by any means, but I have really been focusing on depicting "proper" flow when I stem one scroll coming off of another scroll. I think Sam A. mentions this in his instructionals, that when a scroll comes from another scroll, it should be a smooth and natural looking transition. I can't wait to see your improvement and curious how much better your engraving will be after you focus on the same. Great job!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
the first lighter: chock full of illbegotten spines. chaotic to my eye. too much packed in there. the lighter begs to have a decorative border around the scrollwork. 2nd lighter,,, much improved. jm2cw
What monk is trying to say that your positive space(engraving area) needs a balance of negative space, in other words with English scroll as with any other, you have to consider it into your design, your negative space (where there is no engraving) must also be balanced and we'll designed in accordance with the engraving. I hope at this point in your engraving, what I'm trying to explain makes sense. I recommend Lee Griffiths dvd, he explains it better than I can. Keep cutting brother!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Rstripnieks

Thank You for feedbacks ,In my next work involving scrollwork I will try to correct my mistakes . Its not that easy and challenging but its fun.
I will try to fill or balance negative space because it really looks "empty" between scrolls and I will have figure out how to combine it all and make them all flow from origin scroll

Latest posts

Sponsors