hang in there, Mike Dubber! ;-)

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
judging by the message copied below, Mike is one of the latest to have his email hacked:

"I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about our trip, because it was impromptu. We had to be in Philippines for a Tour..the program was successful, but our journey has turned sour. We misplaced our wallets and cell phones on our way back to the hotel after we went for sight seeing. The wallet contains all the valuables we have. Now, our luggage is in custody of the hotel management pending when we make payment.

I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but I have only very few people to turn to now. I will be very grateful if I can get a short term loan of ($1,950) from you. This will enable me sort our hotel bills and get my sorry self back home. I will really appreciate whatever you can afford at this moment. I promise to refund it in full as soon as I return. Please let me know if you can be of any assistance.

Thanks
"

sorry, Mike. when i'm king this cr@p will be a capital crime...
:mad:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I got the same one. There's a special place in Hell for a-holes that do that.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
judging by the message copied below, Mike is one of the latest to have his email hacked:

"I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about our trip, because it was impromptu. We had to be in Philippines for a Tour..the program was successful, but our journey has turned sour. We misplaced our wallets and cell phones on our way back to the hotel after we went for sight seeing. The wallet contains all the valuables we have. Now, our luggage is in custody of the hotel management pending when we make payment.

I am sorry if i am inconveniencing you, but I have only very few people to turn to now. I will be very grateful if I can get a short term loan of ($1,950) from you. This will enable me sort our hotel bills and get my sorry self back home. I will really appreciate whatever you can afford at this moment. I promise to refund it in full as soon as I return. Please let me know if you can be of any assistance.

Thanks
"

sorry, Mike. when i'm king this cr@p will be a capital crime...
:mad:

sorry about your luck. how can i send money to you ? jayismonk450@gmail.com

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got one like this before also. It was not involving Mike Dubber but another person I know. I sent him an Email informing him and sure enough it was phony.
Face book hacked my Email contact list a long time ago also.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I replied, asking for where he was staying so I could send a friend who lives in the Philippines to deliver the cash "personally" - if you know what I mean...

Naturally, that not being what they are looking for - there was no reply.

I actually enjoy pullin' their chains when things are dull around here... sometimes you can really get them going, just to pi** them off in the end.

Brian

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Got infected 3 wks back by a Ransomware. Lost all files from March16-Feb17. Text and pictures!!!!!!! None of my malware programs caught it before I was infected. Yes, I make back-up copies on a weekly basis on an external drive but somehow there was a delayed trigger and it infected my external back-up drive as well. So far there is no decoder available for this particular malware. I hope at some point there will be someone who decodes it and I can get my files back. I know have redundant external drives that are only on/connected to pc during time of back ups. Lesson - make a completely separate backup of all files you would not like to lose that is totally independent of your pc/mac. Yes, Macs get these as well.

rmgreen

Elite Cafe Member
Got infected 3 wks back by a Ransomware. Lost all files from March16-Feb17. Text and pictures!!!!!!! None of my malware programs caught it before I was infected. Yes, I make back-up copies on a weekly basis on an external drive but somehow there was a delayed trigger and it infected my external back-up drive as well. So far there is no decoder available for this particular malware. I hope at some point there will be someone who decodes it and I can get my files back. I know have redundant external drives that are only on/connected to pc during time of back ups. Lesson - make a completely separate backup of all files you would not like to lose that is totally independent of your pc/mac. Yes, Macs get these as well.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
I also received this message.:(

I tried to just say me too. But got the message "the message you have entered is too short. Please length your message to at least 10 characters.

So I have lengthen it to mor then 10 words.;)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you haven't done so already you guys should look into two-factor authentication for Instagram for Gmail and maybe even Facebook I'm not sure there because I have not tried it basic Greek when you sign in from an unknown computer it sends you a text to your cell phone and you have to enter a special code from your cell phone or they won't be able to log in

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I replied, asking for where he was staying so I could send a friend who lives in the Philippines to deliver the cash "personally" - if you know what I mean...

Naturally, that not being what they are looking for - there was no reply.

I actually enjoy pullin' their chains when things are dull around here... sometimes you can really get them going, just to pi** them off in the end.

Brian

I've done similar things with fraudulent eBay sellers. Such fun!

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I didn't receive THAT one, but today had a message in my junk mail (yes, I check it daily), telling me that Keira had sent me $3,450.00 through paypal and encouraged me to get the money right away!

I had just paid a show fee through Paypal and didn't see it then, but went back to check, on a separate link, logging in and Lo and Behold!...nothing was there!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hmmmm i must have missed somethin here. never mind, i'll keep my cash !

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks to everyone for realizing that I was never in the Philippines, probably never will be, and that my caring wife would never allow me to carry "all our valuables" in my wallet!

I have adequate malware and backups within my system(s) that allowed me to carry on without loss of programming, photos, files or other data. It's embarrassing, but once the villains unveil a password, this can be the result. I spent a day changing passwords and making other adjustments - and that exercise might have brought out any underlying good within this affair. AOL is an old account, and the associated password was not adequately written to avoid this kind of criminality. It is set to self-destroy within the month.

Finally, I hope everyone realized that the overt silliness of that amateur composition could not have come from my keyboard.