thoughts on this fix

Ivan

Hi everyone. I was tasked with fixing this lettering, the customer was not pleased with what they got the first time around. how did i do? :)

Before

After

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
If the lettering was only done with 'drag' engraving, where usually a diamond tool is dragged and thereby makes letters, you MAY get away with burnishing the surface and roll the raised edges back into the narrow furrows filling them up. You'll still need to hand finish the surface when done, to prepare it for regular hand engraving. If the lettering was actually 'cut', there may be too much material removed without taking too much off of the surface in refinishing. I'm doing an aluminum surface right now, with a piece of bone or antler, and it can be tough going. It depends upon how the surface was treated before you got it. If the ring is of any good value, and seasoned jewelers would know, it may be possible to 'fill' or 'solder' in material the same as the ring, and refinish plus do the engraving. Consult with someone familiar with such repairs, and good luck!

Ivan

If the lettering was only done with 'drag' engraving, where usually a diamond tool is dragged and thereby makes letters, you MAY get away with burnishing the surface and roll the raised edges back into the narrow furrows filling them up. You'll still need to hand finish the surface when done, to prepare it for regular hand engraving. If the lettering was actually 'cut', there may be too much material removed without taking too much off of the surface in refinishing. I'm doing an aluminum surface right now, with a piece of bone or antler, and it can be tough going. It depends upon how the surface was treated before you got it. If the ring is of any good value, and seasoned jewelers would know, it may be possible to 'fill' or 'solder' in material the same as the ring, and refinish plus do the engraving. Consult with someone familiar with such repairs, and good luck!

It was draged, there were no deep cuts. I used the draged lines as an outline for my cuts. there wasn't any need to solder this, I know because I am a jeweler actually. 14 K white gold, easy to cut, and thats all I did with it :)

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not such a bad thing to get a job like this. As long as the customer is happy with the original design, it's simply a matter of using the pantograph cuts as a guideline.
Good job on fixing the old work.
Early on before I could draw script well, I'd use the pantograph from time to time just to lightly scribe a layout. As I recall though, the script fonts I had were nothing to write home about. Learning to hand draw the lettering was worth the effort.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Not such a bad thing to get a job like this. As long as the customer is happy with the original design, it's simply a matter of using the pantograph cuts as a guideline.
Early on before I could draw script well, I'd use the pantograph from time to time just to lightly scribe a layout. As I recall though, the script fonts I had were nothing to write home about. Learning to hand draw the lettering was worth the effort.

there's an alternative to that. create your own fonts. then use the font set for layout and subsequent hand engraving. nobody wil know a pantograph was used. an engraver might, but not jq public. this saves a ton of time when doing bread & butter work. although it does take one away from drawing .

Ivan

Thanks! If it was up to me I too would have used some sort of script or calligraphy font, but the customer liked this font, just not the way it was engraved, thats where I came in.