iPad Pro scroll templates / leaves ect...

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I agree. But, Our modern technology is making it very easy for people to copy paste and print out a transfer and thus become dependent on computers and printers. I don't think that that helps people to really learn and understand engraving.

jkleiber

I decided to post this same question again since I did not get a response in the hope that someone would comment regarding the "SPXE" application mentioned in this thread.

Is SPXE an acronym for something? Looked up SPXE on my iPad apps store and nothing. Searched Google for SPXE and nothing....

One person stated they installed it for Windows, but no info as to from where. I found one link in this forum for SPXE and it just leads to a Russian website.

Thanks - John

Jerry K

Elite Cafe Member
I would appreciate a definition regarding drawing vs. engraving. It would seem, based on the comments, that professional engravers are divided into camps, those that can draw well and those that can't! I fall into the latter group. I'm told that it's easy to learn, well I don't think that it is easy. I have improved but I probably won't live long enough to reach the level of "good"! What I have learned is that I can cut steel and produce a respectable product. Am I not an engraver because I used the IPad to couple my scrolls into backbones and then to position leaf elements on to the scrolls?
Just wondering what I should call myself?

jkleiber

I would appreciate a definition regarding drawing vs. engraving. It would seem, based on the comments, that professional engravers are divided into camps, those that can draw well and those that can't! I fall into the latter group. I'm told that it's easy to learn, well I don't think that it is easy. I have improved but I probably won't live long enough to reach the level of "good"! What I have learned is that I can cut steel and produce a respectable product. Am I not an engraver because I used the IPad to couple my scrolls into backbones and then to position leaf elements on to the scrolls?

....an engraver.

-John

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member

You're an engraver, of course... any of my comments are not in any way designed to belittle those that don't draw well. And not being able to draw well doesn't make you a poor artist, either... it DOES limit how you have to approach your work, however. Whatever method that works for you is the right method for you, isn't it?

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I agree. But, Our modern technology is making it very easy for people to copy paste and print out a transfer and thus become dependent on computers and printers. I don't think that that helps people to really learn and understand engraving.

Using that analogy one should abandon the use of our modern graver steels, microscopes and optic, superior lighting and certainly any form of power assisted engraving machines.
Computers, which I'm very poor at are just another tool in the evolution of engraving and make it quicker and easier for the skilled nerds among us to generate their artwork. The design itself still has to come from their artistic skill.
Sorry, rant over.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
SPX & SPXE.
I was the one that recently mentioned these scroll generating programs. A friend told me about them years ago.
As I consider myself a computer DUMMY here is what I printed out from my friend's input in May 2008.
DOWNLOAD: spx.exe (-180 kb) ver 0.0.1.8
spxe.exe (-195 kb) ver 0.0.2.8
spx-dxf.exe (-195 kb) ver 0.0.2.8
The programs contain two types of scroll, CONSTANT STEP, Spiral maintaining equal distance between inner and outer lines and EXPONENTIAL where there is a constant declining distance between the inner and outer lines.
Either scroll type can be sized and adjusted to suit.
WARNING, I have not downloaded or used these programs in many years so proceed with caution. Don't know if they are still valid.
As a computer Dummy I don't know all the ramifications but they were good 2008 and a lot of fun to play around with.
I no longer have the programs on my computer. If anyone tries them please let me know the results.

Last edited:

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Using that analogy one should abandon the use of our modern graver steels, microscopes and optic, superior lighting and certainly any form of power assisted engraving machines.
Computers, which I'm very poor at are just another tool in the evolution of engraving and make it quicker and easier for the skilled nerds among us to generate their artwork. The design itself still has to come from their artistic skill.
Sorry, rant over.
AMEN brother

pmace

Elite Cafe Member
Having done mechanical drawing for 40 odd years I hold no nostalgic feelings for t-squares and pencils. I jumped on Autocad before Windows was invented and never looked back. The question is what are you looking to do? You can generate true artwork with a pencil or with an ipad as we've seen here. If you have gone through the work of generating drawing elements that fit your style then why is it a problem to make the process more efficient by copying them from one place to another. The challenge is that if you need a tendril to fit in a certain space at a certain orientation you have to generate the first one. Plus you need a library of elements large enough to be able to create something that isn't a rubber stamp of the last 10 jobs. If you want a truly unique piece of art each time you sit down then by all means start with a blank canvas and draw every line. If you want to speed up the process and are willing to give up that little bit of uniqueness then build up a library and go for it.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
OK, so along the lines of template usage ... this might be of interest and useful to some of you.

I have been experimenting with the NgraveR Companies' ScrollMaster template system in conjunction with the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil. Utilizing these plastic templates, it is vary easy to "rough layout" the backbone design on the iPad. Zoom in / zoom out on the iPad to size the background artwork; then pick the appropriate size scroll on the template to fit. Once the backbone is in place, the remainder of the scroll design can be drawn in the traditional way by hand. While the ScrollMaster system comes with three different templates, Im only using #1 shown in the photo. The Apple Pencil glides nicely in the template grooves.

While some might argue that this is an aid or crutch to drawing scrolls ... maybe so and so be it. IMHO, in that the backbone is the foundation of the design; it is of paramount importance to get this part correct to successfully build the remainder of the scroll work.

This technique is working for me as I continue to learn how to design and draw acceptable scroll artwork.

IMG_9247.jpg

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Archie, I tried the same trick a couple of weeks ago and I was amazed that it works so well. However, I felt that the scroll backbones were "slightly wrong" and that I still could do a better job sketching them myself. Yet, for a quick layout tool, it can be a great help

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
However, I felt that the scroll backbones were "slightly wrong" and that I still could do a better job sketching them myself. Yet, for a quick layout tool, it can be a great help
Yea, I agree with you that they are "slightly wrong" on my template too, (can actually see flats / elbows in photo) there are. That disappointed me a bit with what I paid for set. Tho for a quick sketch, it does speed things up for me ... and Im sketching over them by hand once I finish the layout, in hopes of improving "muscle memory". I am gonna learn how to draw scrolls unassisted, if its the last thing I do.

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sketchbook pro finally addes a smoothing tool when making circles, its not perfect but certainly helps when final inking

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
That is good to know Carlos....Thanks.
At this point, Im just gonna make my own templates ... as I have access to a CNC mill and data file that will allow me to mill a set. Probably should have done that "from the ge-go".

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Why not learn to draw a scroll backbone? I hate to see people become dependent on those templates. You can do it!

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Im freehand sketching scrolls every day and am getting better, but it is a slow go ... Sam, I really do hear what you are saying and know it is important to have that skill...Im making a concerted effort to learn and am getting better.

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
Why not learn to draw a scroll backbone? I hate to see people become dependent on those templates. You can do it!

Sam you and a lot of the people here are really great artists ......... Others like me struggle to draw a stickman ........ I need to use any tool I can

Lazaro

Hola. Todos los caminos que no sean dibujar sus propios diseños es engañarse uno mismo. El fin es hacer un diseño que digas esto es mio y lo dibuje yo. Aunque cuesta muchisimo aprender. Pero quien ha dicho que no se puede. Muchos ánimos.

Latest posts

Sponsors