Inlay wire other than 24k?

J.B.

Hi guys!

I am obviously knew to the hand engraving scene and need a lot of practice. I would like to get into the gold inlay portion soon but I was wondering if there is anything out there less expensive than 24k wire that would be good to practice with?

I have tried annealing copper wire and setting it in a half hard brass practice plate but had poor results.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Jeff

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jeff,RioGrande sell's a dead soft copper wire that is easy to pull through a draw plate and easy to inlay,I use it in my class.J.J.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I've used annealed copper from CAT5 networking cable in a steel plate, worked just fine. Even a rank beginner I once instructed could do it just fine.

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Which is softer, fine silver or copper?

Sam, I find them to be about equally soft when fully annealed. How about you ?
The reason I had students or beginners use silver is it is inexpensive and they wind up with a show sample plate when its blued.
And gold or silver inlay seems to be viewed as much more skilled and valuable than copper by potential clients.
Maybe just because gold and silver are called precious metals and copper is used for industry, copper pennies and pots and pans.
Most engravers know that it takes equal and sometimes more skill to inlay copper. But other than the masterful mixed metal and copper done by the great knife engravers a large part of the public seem discount copper inlays.
Many forget that they are paying for the skill of the engraver and labor rather than the cost of the metal.
Just my thinking.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At least part of your trouble comes from trying to inlay copper into brass. Get a steel practice plate, and the copper will work. Just make sure it's annealed, and reanneal it more often than you might think is necessary !

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
The softes wire that I find is '' soldering wire ''

I am not sure if I write its name correctly or not,

Soldering wire is used to solder electronic cards.

It is so soft that you can squeeze it even with your fingers' nail. You can find different size of this wire so you don't need to draw it to have thinner wire.

It is also very very cheap,

if the aim is just to see if you can open ( cut ) proper channel, undercuts and raise proper teeth soldering wire is the best option.

I am not sure if there is different colors for this wire but it is sold mostly as silver color.

To me it is the best option to practise to inlay.

Attachments

• alpha-cookson-solder-wire.jpg
    alpha-cookson-solder-wire.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 150

EThomas

The previous suggestions are all a good place to start, copper or silver into steel is pretty straightforward. I would only add that you need to make sure that you have a solid foundation behind the piece you're inlaying into. If your practice plate is on the thinner side, epoxy it down onto a hardwood block or something similar. Otherwise, any vibration or "spring" in the plate will drive you mad trying to get the wire down into the undercut. Wakarimasu ka?

Thomas

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Sorry if I have caused any confusion.
My earlier advise to use pure silver to practice inlay is predicated upon using steel as the background and having the facility to blue the steel.
This blue/silver inlay gives you a good example to show to prospective clients.
If your background is stainless steel copper may be your best choice to obtain a visible contrast between the metals.

Latest posts

Sponsors