Critique Request Scrolls without leaves 2

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi guys!
So I have been sketching on my own now for a few days trying to fill the scene with scrolls.
I have been at it in my office at work, at home in the kitchen heck even in my dreams!!
As it turns out, it's pretty darned difficult to fill without leaves!
I probably have twenty sketches laying around, my hair has turned grey and my family is afraid to go near me.
Not sure I'm done yet but I think I am getting there.
The sketch is pretty messy but I think you get the picture.

IMG_5610.jpg

The best

C Driver

I think by the time you scale it down it's going to be to busy for my, sometimes less is more.
Charlie
PS, Sometime I have to set something down for a day or to and come back to it for a fresh look.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
I think by the time you scale it down it's going to be to busy for my, sometimes less is more.
Charlie
PS, Sometime I have to set something down for a day or to and come back to it for a fresh look.

Well true that, but when I did the background I think there is plenty of space.
Thanks
IMG_5611.jpg

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Personally I like this style much more than classical scrolls, but my tastes are definitely not typical. I won't hijack the thread but as an aside it reminds me of elements of "Celtic tendril " which I have been studying lately or even large and,dare I say, fine English scroll. I think there is a market for such. Probably less in the US though.
Jeremy

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Jeremy!
The knife theme here is about space and the event horizon. That's the reason for me not having leaves in this scene.
Hopefully when it all comes together, knife, hardware and concept it will be alright.
The best

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
certainly not yer everyday, traditional design. having said that, i find it to be visually very nice.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks monk!
I am attending the Eccks this week in Florida, when I get home I will start cutting!
The best

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I personally like designs like this. Very hard to compose but if you can pull it off they can be quite striking.
And you will of course find a number of things that you could have done differently. Unfortunately it won't be till after you cut it. :biggrin:That's the way this works.
Can't wait to see the finished knife.

Last edited:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That design works pretty well. Closest thing I have seen to that would be Lee Griffiths or Italian speghetti scrolls. Usually more open, fluid, sparse, elegant or fluid. I can't put my finger on how that works or draw it so well done... keep drawing and putting them up here... it's always good to see.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys! I have not looked at it for a while now but yesterday I checked it out. It is good to let it be and go back after some time. I can see now that it needs more work.
I just got home from a knife show in Fort Lauderdale and got some feedback, tips and pointers on what US. Knife collectors wants. It turns out that they are not that into scrolls anymore so now I am having second thoughts about engraving scrolls on this knife. I was told that Bulino scenes with historical themes is the way to go right now.
The best

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi!
So I think I got it now. The first picture is just showing how I plan to shade it. The scrolls aren't right but the second picture is how I want to cut the scrolls. This darn scene is starting to get to my head. Been at it for a month now :drawing:

IMG_5633.jpg

IMG_5715.jpg

The best

Latest posts

Sponsors