My first and second attempt at drawing scrolls

J.B.

IMG_1617.jpg

I purchased The Essential Guide to Drawing Scrolls this week and finally had a chance to start drawing. This was my first and second attempt with basic (bottom) and intermediate (top) scroll drawing. I have a lot of refining to do but I think I progressed quite a bit between the two. The best part is that I had a blast doing it!

Amazing video! Going to start the Engraving Scrolls DVD tomorrow.

Thanks so much Sam Alfano!!! I hope to take your classes at GRS in the future!

-Jeff

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a long way in a short time. Your study has obviously yielded good results and you are going about this in the right way. I wish my first attempts had been this successful!
The bottom is a fantastic example of what the early attempts often yield for novice engravers. Folks new to scrollwork often just attach leaf structures to a thin or single line backbone and can't quite grasp why things don't look right. I know. I've been there.
I think it's not until we grasp the concept that we are not just drawing a pattern but are in fact trying to draw a living thing and through clever shading make it appear to be 3 dimensional that we start getting good results. Obviously the basic scroll is a fanciful interpretation of a vine. But we still try and make it as lifelike as possible.
That was the moment the light bulb went of in my head and my drawing and design took a 180deg turn.
Thanks for posting it.
Layne

J.B.

That's a long way in a short time. Your study has obviously yielded good results and you are going about this in the right way. I wish my first attempts had been this successful!
The bottom is a fantastic example of what the early attempts often yield for novice engravers. Folks new to scrollwork often just attach leaf structures to a thin or single line backbone and can't quite grasp why things don't look right. I know. I've been there.
I think it's not until we grasp the concept that we are not just drawing a pattern but are in fact trying to draw a living thing and through clever shading make it appear to be 3 dimensional that we start getting good results. Obviously the basic scroll is a fanciful interpretation of a vine. But we still try and make it as lifelike as possible.
That was the moment the light bulb went of in my head and my drawing and design took a 180deg turn.
Thanks for posting it.
Layne

Thanks for the kind words and great advise, Layne! I'm a big fan of your work!

stick

Looking good! You did a better job than me at first. Thumbs up! I also have these two videos of Sam Alfano. I think it's money well spent for this. If we study the basics and master these tips we can then express ourselfs in the drawings and that's when the magic begins. Keep up the good work.

J.B.

It turns out there was an "advanced" scroll drawing! This was quite a challenge! Need more practice but feel like I'm getting the hang of how things work. I hope I can bring it all to life with the graver!!

Attachments

• IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors