Help, please: Help required in Cambridge England

Howard carter

Hi guys and girls
I am Howard from Cambridge England , I have just watch a video on face book from shaun didyoung , forgive me if i have the name wrong and he used a transfer liquid for transposing an image from an injet printed transparency on to a silver disc . It seems that in the USA you have a thriving engraving industry which we in England sadly do not and in discussions i have read you often refer to substances I find hard to get hold off . Shaun did seem to suggest i could go to his web site but i for some unknown reason cannot find , can any one point me in the right direction please.
I have been making jewellery for 38 years now and only been engraving for 12 months , i cannot tell you how early i get to work just to start practicing i love it , it gets me out of bed in the morning , i,m still pretty crap at it but just occasionally it works and all the hours it doesn't fade away . i just love it .

Howard

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"It seems that in the USA you have a thriving engraving industry which we in England sadly do not..."

Howard,

The simple reason for this is, unlike the UK, people in this country can freely own firearms and any kind of knife, which represent a substantial portion of hand engraved items here. Next to that are the folks, like Shawn, who engrave items for the Western equestrian clients. For instance bits, spurs, and Western saddle attachments.

Good luck with your development as a hand engraver. Here is a link to The Hand Engraver's Association of Great Britain: https://www.handengravers.co.uk/ They offer some training courses and other support.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
If you can find them in England, A Prismacolor 40% gray marker will work much the same way. There is quite a range of colors in these markers that are used by artists. The 40% gray is the one that works best. The colored ones don't work, as far as I know. Do search on the web and you might find that they are in England, or a similar one. I have only used the 40% grey. When it is applied to the metal it looks clear. It will transfer form an inkjet transparency just the same. Good luck.

tdelewis

Elite Cafe Member
I did a quick search and Prismacolor markers are available in the UK. My suggestion is go to a arts and craft store look for them and ask. It is a marker not a pencil. When I did the search pencils were the most common results. It took a while to find the markers.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If You cut shellac with alcohol about 75% alcohol it will work about the same as the transfer fluid. Use Pictorio transparency film. It is made by Mitsubishi.

Howard carter

"It seems that in the USA you have a thriving engraving industry which we in England sadly do not..."

Howard,

The simple reason for this is, unlike the UK, people in this country can freely own firearms and any kind of knife, which represent a substantial portion of hand engraved items here. Next to that are the folks, like Shawn, who engrave items for the Western equestrian clients. For instance bits, spurs, and Western saddle attachments.

Good luck with your development as a hand engraver. Here is a link to The Hand Engraver's Association of Great Britain: https://www.handengravers.co.uk/ They offer some training courses and other support.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Howard carter

If you can find them in England, A Prismacolor 40% gray marker will work much the same way. There is quite a range of colors in these markers that are used by artists. The 40% gray is the one that works best. The colored ones don't work, as far as I know. Do search on the web and you might find that they are in England, or a similar one. I have only used the 40% grey. When it is applied to the metal it looks clear. It will transfer form an inkjet transparency just the same. Good luck.

Great community all help is much appreciated

Howard carter

Howard,

Thank you , I cannot believe how helpful you guys have been

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
he used a transfer liquid for transposing an image from an injet printed transparency on to a silver disc .
Be aware that printers use either dye based ink or pigment based ink. Only the pigment based ink will work for transfers. Printers using HP61 cartridges will work. There are others but I don't recall them. Others will chime in, I'm sure.

Flashmo

Be aware that printers use either dye based ink or pigment based ink. Only the pigment based ink will work for transfers. Printers using HP61 cartridges will work. There are others but I don't recall them. Others will chime in, I'm sure.

Good point. I have used a couple HP printers and all worked fine. Current one uses HP92 ink.

Howard carter

If You cut shellac with alcohol about 75% alcohol it will work about the same as the transfer fluid. Use Pictorio transparency film. It is made by Mitsubishi.

Thank you I will try this too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Sponsors