Pocket Watch knife

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
That is the best creative idea that I have ever seen. :thumbsup::tiphat::clapping:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
just when you think everything has been tried... outstanding!

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Superb. That's the type work that I think takes engraving beyond decorative patterns into art which I find very inspiring.
Thanks very much for posting those.
It's a little difficult for me to tell from the photographs, can you describe the extent to which the work is relief/carving versus careful shading/backgrounding?
Jeremy

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Jeremy,
Well, here goes my secret! The silver frame is a .020" sheet that is riveted on top. Some of the gears are lowered and shaded just enough to provide depth. Here are some close ups---- 2-3rdHenry-close-bot.jpg 2-3rdHenry-close-top.jpg

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
oh, wow! so you've actually used some real gears & watch parts? i thought the entire images were 100% engraved in a trompe l'oeil style (i was stunned at the realism). either way, it's VERY COOL.

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
oh, wow! so you've actually used some real gears & watch parts? i thought the entire images were 100% engraved in a trompe l'oeil style (i was stunned at the realism). either way, it's VERY COOL.

No, just the silver frame is added. The gears are engraved in the old fashion way.
Thanks

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think this is brilliant! Didn't you do a larger version on full metal scales Wm. Henry a couple of years ago?

metalchipper

Elite Cafe Member
I think this is brilliant! Didn't you do a larger version on full metal scales Wm. Henry a couple of years ago?
Yes I did something similar a few years ago. Same size as this one, used a copper sheet frame-boarder with no scrolls and on a SteamPunk theme.