Question: which black paint ?

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi,

I know that many engravers are using Rust Oleum but I can not find any because it is not sold in my country.

Is there any different brand which can give the same black color for engraving ?

I used some different flat black paints but they didn't give the same result as Rust Oleum did.

Do you use any different black paint ?

Rstripnieks

Hi ,I had same question few months ago, people sugested me hammerite black paint,,havent tested it a lot but it gave nice rich black coloured finnish

Flashmo

Brand name does not matter. The Rustoleum is a "oil based, flat black enamel".

It will be available on every continent, in every country using that description

stick

I am just a newbie, but i use plain acrylic black paint. You can get it everywhere. Not the best results, but it works for me (untill i get something better). You can mix it with water or Zippo lighter fluid to thin it down a bit. But have to be carefull because when it dries its done. I only use it where i sand and polish the final product at the end so i get everything off the surface. I haven't yet find a way to just rub it down with one simple swipe or thumb. I did one but i have thined down the paint with water quite a lot. I think if i can master plain paint i will have less trouble when i get the quality stuff. I hope this helps a little. Try and see for yourself. Most important is you have fun and experiment.
You can see how this works by looking on Youtube (Channel Nejc Mazej - start to finish #8 i think)

Rstripnieks

I am no expert in acrylic paint but I tried it few times in my first weeks of engraving and I hated results,as far as I can tell it gives headaches ,it cures too slow ,and it has weak wear resistance . Definetly not my paint choise and wont recommend .

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
some people use a type of printers" ink. the kind that's applied with rubber rollers. it's used to make prints using linoleum or wood.

Andrew Biggs

Oil based flat black paint for outdoor use, to prevent iron to rust should do the trick:)

Yes..............Any oil/enamel based house paint will do the trick. I use flat black.

Avoid lacquers as they dry instantly and don't key onto the metal very well. Also avoid water based acrylic paints as they also don't key onto the metal very well.

Prep work is important as well...........make sure the engraved surface is free of all grease (including finger grease), oil or anything else.

Cheers
Andrew

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
some people use a type of printers" ink. the kind that's applied with rubber rollers. it's used to make prints using linoleum or wood.

I use "etching ink", that's used for intaglio printing. Not sure if they're the same as the linoprint inks. It's very thick and sold in tubes like toothpaste.

Latest posts

Sponsors