Question: Tig welder preferences??

rossm10

Hello People,
Can anyone recommend a good tig welder to be used for the fabrication of bits and spurs?? thanks!!

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lincoln square wave 175 or 180. I have one and I love it. I use it for all kinds of gun fabrication and repairs. Plus big stuff. I can weld the tip on a sear. I also weld up triggers and trigger guards. I have had it for about 15 years. Home depot use to sell them.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
I've only welded with Millers so I can't talk about any other brand. I've used a Syncrowave 180, a 200, and a 250. A 180 is plenty good enough for bits and spurs, but a 200 is a little better, and 250 is better yet. Bigger is better when it comes to Tig welders. But until you get pretty proficient I doubt you would notice the difference.

Stewart

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
my experience with welding equipment always leads me back to lincoln.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Miller Diversion 180 is my choice-run bot 120 or 220 just by switching the plug end-just select your material and thickness and got work. Love mine enough to enjoy welding

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
The above brands are a little on the spendy side... I have some name brand machines but this year I decided to try a import inverter high frequency start 200 amp dry torch machine,,,,,,I have had good luck with the LOTOS brand in a plasma 5/8 cutter.....I was concerned about a china machine when I bought the plasma but that was 4 years ago and it is used almost daily with no problems.....The LOTOS tig that I bought was on a internet special for around $600.....I did not like the 17 size torch head with the button start so I went with a 9 size head and used the footfeed making this process much more comfortable.....The machine has several months on it and has preformed very well at producing small profile stainless welds which is what I bought it for......

Bob

takedeadaim

I have a Lincoln V205 and it is one of the most stable inverter machines I have ever used, and I have welded with all of the popular brands over the years.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
The above brands are a little on the spendy side... I have some name brand machines but this year I decided to try a import inverter high frequency start 200 amp dry torch machine,,,,,,I have had good luck with the LOTOS brand in a plasma 5/8 cutter.....I was concerned about a china machine when I bought the plasma but that was 4 years ago and it is used almost daily with no problems.....The LOTOS tig that I bought was on a internet special for around $600.....I did not like the 17 size torch head with the button start so I went with a 9 size head and used the footfeed making this process much more comfortable.....The machine has several months on it and has preformed very well at producing small profile stainless welds which is what I bought it for......

Bob

i've operated automatic gas, as well as auto. plasma. 6" is about the thickes t i cut with auto gas. 12" mild by hand torch. never tried hand plasma. is it tricky to keep a 90 sidewall ? cutting 12" thick steel with a hand torch is not for the faint of heart!

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
On trying to figure out what you need in a welder you gotta ask what is the largest size plate to be welded and if you are going to weld aluminum. Second the amount of dollars you have for this investment and the amount of power you have to run the machine. Inverters vs transformer units. Inverters are small light and require a lot less amperage to run. Typical 180 to 230 amp unit 30 amp fuse 200 to 250 transformer unit 60 amps. If you are going to weld aluminum you need High Frequency going to cost a little more or a lot more depending on thickness of material ( aluminum takes a lot of heat ).
If this is for small hobby/home use usually around the 200 amp in either type is a good choice. You can find many used transformer units for sale at real good prices just be sure you have the power to run it, some only run with 550/600 v other can work on 220v. The inverters usually will easily run on 110-220 or 550 in some cases. Naturally your capabilities and weld time using 110 V is greatly reduced.
Shop around check out welders web and good luck. . . . Decide your weld parameters first.

Eric

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Eastwood has a budget TIG welder at a very reasonable price as does a few available in street rod or hot rod magazines.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
Monk Cutting 12 inch steel is way out of my league ..... Side walls on the cuts on 1 and below when I mount the torch in a plate cutter can be nice and straight.....

Eric A nice feature of inverter TIG machines is the high frequency start vrs older transformer machines that need the scratch start....

Bob

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
In a lot of cases a high Frequency can be added to a older machine. Used ones are available as are coolers. With the high frequency on some machines this feature can be set to be a touch start or not. This can define your starting point. Don't know how many people would use that switch, but can ease cleanup on higher end pieces.
Yea Monk I have cut a lot of material in my life but you got me beat on 12" thick. Must have been quite a set up.
There are a lot of good quality machines on the market, my self I run Lincoln and Miller. Not to say they are the best or the only machines but I can repair them and get parts. Do your home work and stick with a dealer with a good reputation and one you can talk to. Import equipment has come a long way but there is still junk being sold. Good dealers usually carry better lines.

Eric

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Miller 250 synchrowave. Never had anything I Couldn't weld from 20 g steel to 1" thick plate so far. I found a used one made in 2000 on EBAY. Guy has a business in Atlanta refurbishing welders. I got the synchrowave, which has high frequency start, cooler, torch, lines, basically everything to start welding except tanks. All for $2700.00. Would have spent $1600-2000 on a decent inverter with nothing else. Got a 1 year warranty also. He stood behind it when he sent me a new transformer to swap out and saved me a trip from Tn. I watched a lot of YouTube videos to learn how to weld. This also helped me choose the right equipement. I learned the most after I started welding of course. It's always hard to put the money down to get started. I suggest you learn as much as you can about different welders and their pros and cons.

I'd second Big-Un's opinion on the Eastwood Tig 200. I've owned and used one for 5 years on gunmaking, engraving and racecar fabrication work. I'm very impressed, particularly compared to the older Miller Dialarc I used to have. Truly excellent on aluminum even down to 22g, and all manner of steel - light and heavy. Extremely smooth and progressive using the foot control. Eastwood's customer service is top class as well.

Latest posts

Sponsors