TIME required to do engraving like this

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many variables as far as removing the old finishing prep work design time engraving refinish will always vary from engraver to engraver depending on their experience. So it's really not a question that can be answered directly.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

highsierra

Assuming the gun is smooth and ready to engrave. Not refinish time, just engraving.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
highsierra,If it were the only thing I was working on two weeks would work. J.J.

highsierra

highsierra,If it were the only thing I was working on two weeks would work. J.J.
I have just been discussing actual engraving time for a gun with some other collectors. If you are working 40 hours a week, 80 hours seems like a long time engraving for a simple no background pattern like this.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is pretty simple looking engraving but it is much harder on a revolver. Disassembly and assembly time and the problem of holding them and the very curved surfaces make it much more difficult than a person would think who never did one .

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have just been discussing actual engraving time for a gun with some other collectors. If you are working 40 hours a week, 80 hours seems like a long time engraving for a simple no background pattern like this.
There's your problem right there talking to collectors not engravers, talking to engravers the facts have been stated engraving on a curved surface is tricky as all your lines must maintain a consistent width but I guess your collectors know more. And no firearm is ever perfect and ready to be engraved if it's a factory finish there are lot of imperfections on it, nothing is completely round and nothing is completely flat and will require some prep work on the surface.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Last edited:

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
There's your problem right there talking to collectors not engravers, talking to engravers the facts have been stated engraving on a curved surface is tricky as all your lines must maintain a consistent width but I guess your collectors know more.

Collectors are guessing, based on what they imagine the process involves. Engravers are adding up the actual time that they believe it will take, based on prior experience. I'm a little curious as to why highsierra asked how long it would take, yet there seems to be push-back as to the answers from the actual experts!

I've never engraved a revolver, so I would never jump in with an actual official guesstimate, but I have engraved some difficult curved surfaces... I seriously believe that 60-80 hours to engrave the exemplar is probably pretty darned close to reality.

highsierra

I have watched engravers using a gravermeister at gun shows engraving a revolver, and watched videos of guns being engraved. A pattern like the one shown seemed to go pretty quick. Time involved was just a matter of curiosity, because estimates have varied widely. Many estimates seemed really excessive from the engraving I have seen being performed.

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
I have watched engravers using a gravermeister at gun shows engraving a revolver, and watched videos of guns being engraved. A pattern like the one shown seemed to go pretty quick. Time involved was just a matter of curiosity, because estimates have varied widely. Many estimates seemed really excessive from the engraving I have seen being performed.

Watching engravers work does give a person an idea of how long the cutting takes. I won't argue with that. If all we did was cut metal, you may be able to create a ballpark number for the actual, under the scope cutting time. That being said, I'm wondering, in your opinion, how much time would be spent in layout and design? How much time is spent transferring the design to the metal? Tool sharpening? Fixturing the individual parts? Just out of curiosity, based on what you have seen at shows and online, How many hours you would allocate for those specific tasks?

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd say 6-7 days at a minimum, two weeks in case there are hidden flaws in the metal that need to be addressed, and would quote a customer three weeks just to make sure I was still sane at the time of return!

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Zooming in on the photo, the work looks very rudimentary and quickly executed. Maybe a few days? Better engraving would certainly take a lot longer.

monk

Staff member
i no longer do modern guns. based on a time when i did them- a revolver of this style and level of covergage - no shading, no background removal/texturing maybe 60-70 hours. i only do front stuffers these days. no exotic metals/surface finishes to deal with. fewer prolems all the way around.
to me, "high end" engraving just about demands fine shading. sadly, in the past few years, the fineline stuff just doesn't work anymore.my vision is such, i cant do this work with a degree of confidence.

highsierra

i no longer do modern guns. based on a time when i did them- a revolver of this style and level of covergage - no shading, no background removal/texturing maybe 60-70 hours. i only do front stuffers these days. no exotic metals/surface finishes to deal with. fewer prolems all the way around.
to me, "high end" engraving just about demands fine shading. sadly, in the past few years, the fineline stuff just doesn't work anymore.my vision is such, i cant do this work with a degree of confidence.
If it took that long, 60-70 hours, for this simple engraving style, how much could you possibly charge for engraving on a gun like this?

Crossbolt

Elite Cafe Member
Well as an utter beginning hobby novice I have no input on the engraving estimates. As someone who makes my living managing contracts and costs, I would point out several rough estimates here around the same figure from experienced "contractors ". I'd go on that if you want rough ideas. If you are looking for lower cost perhaps one of the collectors would be willing to bid based on their experience. We all have to learn one way or another from experience

Jeremy

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
If it took that long, 60-70 hours, for this simple engraving style, how much could you possibly charge for engraving on a gun like this?

Highsierra,
I think you can answer your own question. You have several time estimates.
It depends on what skill level you you persevere an engraver to have.
Equal skill to an auto mechanic? A plumber? A carpenter?
How much would you expect to pay these workers per hour if they are working as contractors?
The gun you showed has everyday engraving work just like the service provided by these trades.
Some but not all engravers have a far higher skill set.
The same skills as world renowned fine artists but they generally get paid somewhat less.
As a collector or dealer of engraving and firearms time and experience will give you the knowledge.
There is no short cut answer.

Last edited:

highsierra

If it takes 60-70 hours to do this type engraving as was stated, even at $50/hour, that would be $3000-3500. And no way can you get a legitimate plumber or electrician for $50/hour. I can not imagine anyone paying that $3000-3500 for engraving like on this gun. I now buy all of my engraved guns on the used market, they apparently sell second hand at a fraction of what having the work done would cost.

Latest posts

Sponsors