Question: Patterns on dark/black background - how to

farmer57

Hello,
I am a complete novice to engraving. Thank you all for the tips and educational content contained within this amazing forum, I am sure it will save me (and others) countless hours of struggle and frustration while learning. It is very kind of you to share these.

My question is how to draw/transfer a pattern onto object that is dark or black. I am attempting to engrave several patterns on a bayonette (military) for friend's son. While the blade itself is not that dark, scabbard is covered with hardened black lacquer. I want to preserve this finish and engrave 'through' this. While I am not terrible at hand drawing - working on this semi-matte black finish has been a struggle for me. What do you guys do in such case?
I am happy to attach images if needed.
Thanks in advance.
Kris.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
numero uno:: engraving thru the laquer will likely cause chipping & flaking surrounding the cut line. if this happens, you'd have to completely re-laquer the item. it would be a real task to create a new finish that would resemble the orriginal.
#2 assuming such would not adversely affect the item, lightly coat the item with flat white spray paint. when dry, this will take pencil & ink drawing, as well as printed transfers. then remove the paint using off-the shelf paint remover. doing such may ALSO DESTROY the orriginal laquer. there are alternatives-- chinese white, tom white sells a white transfer ground. the tip section also offers a couple formulas for a white transfer ground. good luck with your project.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At most hobby stores, Hobby Lobby, etc, you can find carbon transfer papers that come as an assortment and include red, white, blue, black, and yellow. Draw your pattern on paper, then put one of the lighter papers under your pattern and go over it with a fine pencil to transfer it to your work. No clean-up required.

farmer57

Thank you all for such prompt responses!
I will follow up on the suggestions. Links for Tom White transfer magic do not work for me, does anybody know how to obtain this stuff?

Never thought there was a non-dark carbon transfer paper...

The lacquer on the scabbard is quite tough, while it does chip a bit around the cut lines - it does not continue to flake otherwise. It is a 1924 pattern bayonette, was used by many nations so I guess they got the finishing coating right. I covered all other areas to keep it from 'abuse'. I cannot bring myself to apply other paint onto it (I am too nervous).
Thank you again!

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've tranfered patterns on black aluminum grips, first Chinese white, let dry, then clear inkjet transparency method ( I hope you know how to do this) the transparency transfer method can be wiped off with acetone but will not affect the Chinese white base so in case you misplace it you can always do it again or be you can draw directly onto the Chinese white with a pencil or pen or marker and wipe it off with acetone once you want to take off the Chinese white all you have to do is wipe off with water. Sorry for any errors speech to text.

One other thing I add thinned out damar varnish as the base for my inkjet transparency transfer, it also helps keep the Chinese white from flaking as your Engraving, so it helps in two ways.

GunEngraver.com Custom Guns Knives and More PAYMENT PLANS Available

Last edited:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
There are regular wooden pencils that come in colors like red, white, black, and perhaps others. I have some in black, and white, which work well for something such as you describe. A handheld pencil sharpener is best, after your initial sharpening. I can't remember if Dixon, Gesswein, the Ngraver outfit, or whomever markets them. I have a couple of boxes of them, but forgot where they're at. The white color would work, most likely, but you run the risk of lacquer chipping. Good luck!

farmer57

Thank you Carlos, I like the sound of your method and will certainly try it.
Ron, I will purchase some coloured pencils at the next opportunity, surely these will come handy since I do enjoy drawing simple patterns by hand.
Bill, thanks for the link!