More photos and practice

KarlB

Another attempt at photographing my work.

The spoke shave was found in a box of old tools, left behind by my father, who was a pattern maker. I decided it would make a nice restoration-engraving practice project. I thought the material would have been some sort of cast bronze alloy. Thinking ahead, I made a couple of small test cuts in an area that would be removed later. It appeared to engrave easily. Then when I cleaned the piece up and started the first outlining cut, the graver cut nicely for the first 3/16" and then stopped dead in its cut. I checked the tip of the graver and it was still perfect. Went back into the cut, applied more pedal and the graver pushed through a hard spot and proceeded to dive down. Long story-short, the material was full of hard and soft areas. I changed my hand piece to the Magnum, and finished engraving the piece with authority!!! About now I imagine the more experienced engravers are sitting back in your chairs and laughing. Im Ok with that as long as you all are laughing with me and not at me. Moral of the story, be sure of the material before starting the engraving... Karl

Attachments

• PICT0011.jpg
    PICT0011.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 196
  • PICT1037.jpg
    PICT1037.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 196

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Karl,

I really like your use of non-typical scroll on your sample plate. Is that your design or was it transferred from an existing design? Your lettering is also nicely done.

KarlB

Roger,

I wish the design was mine, but my drawing skills are not that good yet. I copied an existing design from Karl Klimsch (Florid Victorian Ornament). I made some small changes to render it more engravable for me.
Thank you for looking, and your comments.

karl....

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the piece is very likely a casting. a common situation for engravers to work around. sand castings can be even worse, pits, voids, & inclusions. unfortunately, once you start a cut, you must commit to doing the job. similar problems occur when engraving thru plated items. even the finest plating can flake around the cut line. usually occurs when halfway thru the job! warn the client & let them assume the risk. was this tough to cut?
your square plate is exceptionally nice looking. i think most everybody on this forum has laughed at themselves a time or two. i think it's part of the learning curve.

Latest posts

Sponsors