Show and Tell Time: "New" Chasing Hammer

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Not sure exactly why I'm posting this... But I'm really happy with how this project turned out, and I guess I just want to share the joy!

Buying a chasing hammer, for me, usually entails finding a hammer, then modifying the handle until it works properly... virtually every new hammer out there has a handle that is a clunky, chunky, badly balanced imitation of what a real hammer should be.

In the olden days, a chasing hammer has an elegant handle of wood that has some flex to it, which develops a "whipping" action... antique hammers are the way to go if they can be found, they're just better.

So, I was looking to upgrade my hammer collection, and I spotted a handle-less head for sale on ebay... beautiful old metal. And I bought it for 12 bucks, had it shipped in, and it sat for three months while I pondered making a handle. Yesterday, I had some spare time and I decided to get busy on the thing.

I had a board of AAAA Flaming Maple and I decided... why not? Maple, when thinned out has amazing springiness, and it's just beautiful to look at. I oriented the grain to be vertical along the strike axis, and drew the outline. A few long minutes on the bandsaw as I burned through the really hard material with a steel-cutting blade (It's in the machine shop) and I had the thing hogged out. From there I carved, filed and sanded it into shape. Finally, some oil and wax... and I now have an heirloom quality hammer.... I think it came out great, and it feels AMAZING!

Comments are welcome, of course!

Attachments

• IMG_3543.JPG.jpg
    IMG_3543.JPG.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_3542.JPG.jpg
    IMG_3542.JPG.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 288

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a dandy! You are most certainly right about the quality of some of the older hammers. Most of the handles I see in catalogs these days are like a 2x4. Heads are nice. Handles, not so much. I made one from Lignum Vitae recently that's a pleasure to use. Also very satisfying to work with tools you made.
Layne

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
send it to me. i'll give a real good critique. might take a while, but i'll be honest.

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice ... Tho with a machine shop at your disposal I figured you would have turned your own out of "unatainum" or some other harder than superman's head exotic super metal LOL. All kidding aside, I know you are gonna love using it....after all its "custom fit" to your hand ... makes all the difference when you make it yourself and get it "just right". Enjoy

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice ... Tho with a machine shop at your disposal I figured you would have turned your own out of "unatainum" or some other harder than superman's head exotic super metal LOL. All kidding aside, I know you are gonna love using it....after all its "custom fit" to your hand ... makes all the difference when you make it yourself and get it "just right". Enjoy

I could easily make it (OK, not THAT easy) out of Inconel X750 if I wanted a $3,000 chasing hammer handle! But... The wood has a soul... PLUS, somewhere out there, there is a Luthier that is cringing at the very thought of a hammer handle being carved from a really gorgeous block of AAAA+, near-precious, tone wood. Sadistic as it may seem, I find some level of satisfaction in that!

I hogged out another one today, and I'm going to lathe turn a head for it in this style:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 5.25.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 5.25.48 PM.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 73

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I turned one very similar to that many years ago only the two faces unscrew and I also made a brass face coupled with a cartridge case on the other end half full of shot to make a dead blow hammer for setting frets and a rubber face for tap tone tuning sound boards. Don't use maple thought.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you are going to engrave at a later date, will you remove the head? If so,... do you have a trick fir not harming the handle?

Latest posts

Sponsors