Announcement: Hello to all (new member)

stick

Hello forum members :tiphat:

My name is Nejc, from Slovenia (33).
I have started to read this forum some time ago and now decided to post for the first time. I have a strong passion for engraving an i have started to learn and practice engraving. I also share my experiences and tools with everybody on Youtube. You can find my channel if you type "Nejc Mazej" to YT. It's a kind of a diary of a beginner...

I have a question:
I shared videos about my homemade handpiece and DIY engraving machine. Is there anything wrong with that? Am i breaking any engraving rules? I hope there is nothing wrong with that. I know there are many handpieces and machines to buy from GRS, Lindsay etc., but i have made my own things to start with because of the financial limit. I hope there is none copyright or patent being broken (sorry for my English), and i hope you understand what i am asking.

If i have done anything wrong or shouldn't be doing something on YT please let me know and i will delete or remove videos ASAP.

I love this forum and everything about engraving. I am learning something new everyday. I have a steady job and i am engraving very little at a time because of that, but it's ok because it's my hobby.
I have also bought Sam's Start to finish scroll and Drawing Scrolls for helping me start properly. Great videos!

Thanks for everything (to everybody here) as i have learned a lot from this nice forum :bow:

Enjoy engraving! :graver:
Nejc

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome! What you are doing by making your own system is quit adventuresome, nothing wrong with it at all. There are of course some legal issues like patent infringements but what you "copy" owner will let you know. Don't worry about it would love to see what you have come up with. Enjoy yourself here at the Café. Fred

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
As long as you don't try to sell tools which are covered by a patent in that country, you're not doing anything illegal. Of course the question arrises whether or not it's the right thing to copy and profit on someone else's tool design. But if you're not selling them then there's nothing to worry about.

Welcome to the Cafe :tiphat:

stick

Welcome! What you are doing by making your own system is quit adventuresome, nothing wrong with it at all. There are of course some legal issues like patent infringements but what you "copy" owner will let you know. Don't worry about it would love to see what you have come up with. Enjoy yourself here at the Café. Fred

Thank you! I appreciate it a lot. This forum is a treasure for engravers and a lovely community of friendly people. Hopefully with time I can contribute something to others as I have from you all. Enjoy

stick

Thank you Mr. Alfano! Nice to be welcomed, specially coming from you. Your videos are awesome and I am learning/drawing every day. My handpiece is different from any other that can be bought and is totally my design and dimensions. It's really simple but I can work with it. I just like to take this opportunity to say that I admire your work and I feel very privileged to be a part of this forum.
Engraving is fun, I'm slowly making progress and I hope with time I can get better.
Thanks again, enjoy
Nejc

stick

Most of the basic patents have expired or are about to expire shortly. GMax & Meister very definitely.

Brian

Just wanted to make sure everything is ok. I wanted to make my engraving machine and enjoy engraving without a bad feeling.
I sure would love to be able to get my hands on some professional equipment someday, but being who i am i managed to make something mine and do it with a lot less money.
I appreciate your comment. Thanks a bunch! Enjoy
Nejc