Colt Texas Ranger Commemorative Serial Number 1

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's serial number one of the Colt Texas Ranger Commemorative series originally released in the late 1960's.
In 1968 when I was a little kid my dad went to work for Frank Hendricks in San Antonio. It was because Hendricks had the engraving contract on these Ranger guns that he had the pressing need for an extra engraver & so my dad was hired. Dad worked for Frank until the mid '70's when he left and set up his own shop. Later in 1979 I began my engraving apprenticeship under may dad's direction & subsequently we worked together for the next 26 years.
Back to the Colt: Of this series of 1000 specially serial numbered guns, the first 200 were delivered to Hendricks from Colt in the white prepped for engraving. Of that 200, my dad personally engraved 136.
Three grades of engraving were offered (listed as grade I, II or, III).
While grade I guns were intended to be completely custom, allowing the client maximum input into the design of the gun, grades II and III were offered with standard patterns of embellishment (grade III having the least amount of coverage and, grade II being more robust and therefore, the nicest standard offering).
The majority of the 200 were grades II & III with only a small number of grade I having been done.
Thanks to a great client I had the opportunity to select the embellishment on this most special piece choosing a style and amount of coverage that will definitely place it as a grade I and also remain true to the style and theme of engraving originally chosen for this special run of Colts!

Hope you enjoy,

Weldon

I've also attached two concept drawings Frank did in 1969 detailing the level of embellishment on grades II & III

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 305
  • Image 2.jpg
    Image 2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 303
  • Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 305

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
eye candy for sure . tyvm for sharing the fotos and history as well.

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I really like your work, beautiful gun!... especially like the way you use the tulips for border treatment.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Weldon, this has to be my favorite work that's come out of your studio! And that's saying a lot! I love every element of the design and the execution is stellar as always. Kudos my friend.

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Weldon, you are a modern day Nimschke, only better. This is stunning, classic, fantastic work. :bow: :clapping:

C Driver

I have a question about the wreath on top of the grip, is that an added piece?
It is very striking, a great piece of detail.
Charlie

C Driver

Are all of the C shape detailing individual cuts, or are you using a punch, if punch at what point in the detail are they done, before or after lining?
Charlie

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The c- shaped Scallops (aka mule foot in leather craft) are done with the edge of a circle punch. They could be hand cut but.... you'll spend unnecessary time doing it that way.
Scallops are the last thing I add to the pattern & are done after liner shading & crosshatch are done. After that I lightly sand to remove burrs & then add the punch dot background.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think Sam's comparison is a good one. You have a style that is instantly recognizable and that's a hard thing to achieve in this business. I've seen a lot of SAAs and your work is by far my favorite. It just looks and feels like it was meant to be on that gun.
Thanks for sharing it Weldon.
Layne

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Weldon,
Double wow wee.... I've spent the whole evening exploring this masterpiece. I've been saying this for many years now..... You are the best of the best hands down. You can bet your dad is looking down on you with a huge ear to ear smile.

Dennis

Sponsors