Some of my engraving pictures

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
Nice work Charlie!! You should post a picture of that Winchester you had at the FEGA show last year, if you have any... it was a beaut' also!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
spiffy looking work. thanks for showing. btw- the bluing job doesn't detract or diminish the quality of your work. it works well with what you have done here. did you reblue, or farm that out ?

Last edited:

stick

Very beautiful! I don't think i have seen anywhere else the little dots in the end of curling scrolls. I just love that. Thumbs up!

highsierra

Everybody who scratches metal now calls themselves a Master Engraver. These examples shown are truly the work of a Master Engraver.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Everybody who scratches metal now calls themselves a Master Engraver. These examples shown are truly the work of a Master Engraver.

highsierra,I never called myself a master engraver,never went to any of the engraving schools or studded with a master engraver I''m self taught.When the book The Art of Engraving by James Meek came out it was the best thing that ever happen for many of us who wanted to learn this wonderful craft,would have love to have gotten with a master to look over my shoulder to guide me in the art.Best think before you make any more statements about engraving and engraver. J.J.

highsierra

highsierra,I never called myself a master engraver,never went to any of the engraving schools or studded with a master engraver I''m self taught.When the book The Art of Engraving by James Meek came out it was the best thing that ever happen for many of us who wanted to learn this wonderful craft,would have love to have gotten with a master to look over mBesy shoulder to guide me in the art.Best think before you make any more statements about engraving and engraver. J.J.
I don't care what school an engraver has gone to or what books he has read, I go by the finished result of the engraving. I have over 50 engraved Colts. I see engraved guns for sale, they invariably say engraved by Master Engraver - fill in the name. Some are great, some are OK, and some are poor. "Best think before you make any more statements about engraving and engraver." It does not take much thinking to evaluate the engraving of the guns shown in this thread to be work of a true Master Engraver. I don't see how anyone could disagree.

Lonestarr

Elite Cafe Member
I think where JJ is coming from is the first part of your statement....There are thousands of members in this forum and I think very few consider themselves master engravers......If you see a sign on a gun for sale that says master engraver I would make them prove it or put it off to sales hype....

and by the way the engraving in this thread is stunning....very good work...

Last edited:

highsierra

I think where JJ is coming from is the first part of your statement....There are thousands of members in this forum and I think very few consider themselves master engravers......If you see a sign on a gun for sale that says master engraver I would make them prove it or put it off to sales hype....

and by the way the engraving in this thread is stunning....very good work...
My reference to the term Master Engraver comes from the auctions on internet sites and the guns I see for sale at guns shows. The term Master Engraver is used very loosely, and seems to be used in every description of the engraved item for sale. The Colt I show in the other thread is said to have been done by a Master Engraver. The guy who engraved the guns shown in this thread has every right to call himself a Master Engraver in my opinion.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My reference to the term Master Engraver comes from the auctions on internet sites and the guns I see for sale at guns shows. The term Master Engraver is used very loosely, and seems to be used in every description of the engraved item for sale. The Colt I show in the other thread is said to have been done by a Master Engraver. The guy who engraved the guns shown in this thread has every right to call himself a Master Engraver in my opinion.

You are right to say that the term Master Engraver is thrown around rather loosely. I would beg to differ though that "anyone who scratches metal calls himself a master engraver"
This most often this occurs in the secondary market by sellers attempting to make the most profit possible, or by writers doing articles about engraving or an engraver. Ask any professional engraver here and they will have a story about being introduced as a master or written up in print as being a "Master Engraver" regardless of credentials.
I have had it happen multiple times to the point that if someone want's to write an article about a piece of my work or present me to the public in some capacity, I make a point of telling them, please do not call me a master engraver. Flatter me any way you want but don't call me a master.
I can guarantee though that if one of my guns is sold down the line, at some point it will be placed in a case by a dealer with a tag stating "By Master Engraver Layne Z.)
Until then,
Journeyman engraver, Layne Z.

Sponsors