Help, please: Beginning the Hand Engravers Bench Reference

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for me, starting the database was horrible. a real pita. way too much boring,wasted time. but this has been a blessing, as things are much easer to control from the one computer. the software even alerts me when i'm running low on vinyl, and a bunch of other stuff i'm too dumb to keep track of. does my tax info, cool !!

stick

Hello,
I don't know if this is also for newbies, so if my post is not right for this thread please delete it. I will try to answer the questions.

General:

Type of engraving you do?
Pendants for now. Simple plates for doors...

Professional, part time, newbie or hobbyist?
Newbie&hobbyist

Years of experience?
4months since i started

Hand pushed, hammer & chisel, power assisted or combination? Or combinations like power assisted and bulino?
Homemade engraving machine (pneumatic) + little bulino practice

Any “formalâ€￾ education? Classes, workshops, apprenticeships, mentors?
None

How many classes, workshops or private instruction do you attend yearly? Total to date?
None

What percentage of your education & skills originate from books, DVD’s, website videos, FEGA publications, youtube?
- Sam Alfano (Scrollwork from start to finish) + Sam Alfano (E.G for Drawing scrolls)
- You Tube (mostly from Shaun Hughes engraving channel + many others)
- Engraver's Cafe

Take in information:

Where do your customer contacts come from? Previous personal interaction, referrals, shows, events, exhibitions, Internet website? “socialâ€￾ mediaâ€￾? Other? For example – cold calls... Percentage of clients gained from each?
Friends for now..

When you take a job in - do you have a standard written job form w/description, string tags, job envelopes, notebook/records, calendar, time log, or computer stored documentation to organize and track your jobs?
I should start to do this 

Do you have a written/signed contract with or without detailed description?
No

Do you take images of the piece before & after?
Yes

Drawings done, not done – extra charge or included in total price estimate?
/

Deposit & percentage thereof?
/

Average turnaround time for an average job in your shop? (If there is such a thing?)
About 3 days as i am working only about an hour a day (like i said for pendants and such)

Do you provide any form of provenance for future use - apart from a signature or hallmark type stamp?
/

Enjoy engraving :graver:
Nejc

Latest posts

Sponsors