Bulino Engraved Rams

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
Going through old files and came across these rams I bulino engraved on an SR Johnson 4-5 years ago. They measure about .75 x .75. Always did like how this one came out, hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• ramA-800.jpg
    ramA-800.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 276
  • ramb-800.jpg
    ramb-800.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 278

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Excellent work Ron!

I have a question for those who are closely connected to custom knife collecting and engraving. I have a monogram to engrave on a fixed blade knife, very similar to the one Ron has pictured above. On Ron's knife the engraving is oriented to be viewed with the blade pointing up. I was going to orient the monogram so that, with the knife carried in a sheath, a person looking at the knife would see the monogram right side up. Ron's knife has the engraving oriented so that the figure is right side up when held in the hand but would be upside down in a sheath. If you have engraved numerous fixed blade knives, what is your take on this issue?

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Tricky question Roger. My tendency is to orient "up" towards the back of the blade, which would rotate Ron's animals 90 degrees left/right. Hope there are some definitive answers coming.

I forgot to add...and animals facing down blade...just my gun engraving background speaking here.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
not an answer to your question, roger: i have found-- over the years, most people don't have a clue as to the "correct" positioning of engraving on tankards, knives, and a host of other items. i tell folks how the tradition would have it, but the final word is theirs to choose

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
There are several schools of thought on that subject Roger. Here's the general arguments I've heard for and against any particular orientation. 1, rotate my engravings 180 degrees and they are upright in a sheath and the knife can be displayed tip down in a stand. 2, as it was done it's easiest to hold the knife and view the engravings but there's no practical way to display the knife in a stand, tip up? sideways? Most people who choose this orientation say "The engraving is for me and I want to see it right if I'm using or holding MY knife." 3, rotate them 90 degrees and you can display the knife that way AND more easily see the engravings when you hold the knife by the handle but they are sideways when worn in a sheath. I do agree with SamW that tradition would have them rotated either 90 or 180 degrees from how I've done them. I honestly can't remember why I orientated them that way on that particular knife.

monk

Staff member
the work is beyond any expectation. the really cool part, is the illusion of depth. very apparent in thr closeup. tyvm for showing

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Ron. And as for Roger's question, I think a case could be made for just about any orientation one could imagine. The main thing I have learned is that no matter what way you decide to orient the engraving, be sure the customer is in line with it. Most have nothing to offer on the subject but the ones who do are very specific on their preference in my experience.
Layne

Sponsors