Trying to get some extension... Procreate Drawing

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
No growth or advancement ever happens in my comfort zone, and I've been caught up in scrolls that occupy tight spaces. I realized it's because I have great difficulty in spreading things out. I decided to do a drawing that was about creating flowing ribbon like elements, in an attempt to get more comfortable with extended shapes.

I also have been less than comfortable with the inking tools, so this drawing was done nearly entirely with the pen and ink tools instead of the pencils which are very comfortable for me at this point. Everything here was done with the technical pen, or the studio pen, except the drop shadow which was done with the shading graphite.

I found this to be a really difficult drawing to do... the shapes are completely foreign, and the tools are unforgiving... but as I progressed trough it, they became easier, but I can't honestly say I established any real degree of comfort with it... which means it's where I need to focus for a while until it becomes second nature!

Attachments

• Untitled_Artwork copy.jpg
    Untitled_Artwork copy.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 150

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The arabesque or blackleaf style is very difficult and the most challenging of all styles in my opinion. Scrollwork is far easier and more predictable. Arabesque is random and unpredictable. It's challenging to get a good flow and to keep it from being stiff and cartoony. I think you're making progress Mike. To be really proficient with it you'll need to build a good vocabulary of elements. The best study is the work of Winston Churchill. Nobody does it better than him.

C Driver

Where is the best place to find a large collection of Churchill's work, I find a few here and a few there, be very few together?
Charlie

Sam

Staff member
Where is the best place to find a large collection of Churchill's work, I find a few here and a few there, be very few together?
Charlie

Unfortunately you probably won't find much online. He's been very protective of his work and most photos are in books.

C Driver

Sam,
I would like to thank you again for sharing your work with so many, you are creating a legacy far beyond your own work.
Thanks,
Charlie

Sam

Staff member
Sam,
I would like to thank you again for sharing your work with so many, you are creating a legacy far beyond your own work.
Thanks,
Charlie

You're welcome, Charlie. I'm just the landlord here. The members make the Cafe the awesome place that it is, and it wouldn't be much without their endless contributions and willingness to help others.

Latest posts

Sponsors