Question: bad for the gun??

Wew0001

After field stripping a gun but leaving everything in the slide intact, then engraving the slide would that cause damage to anything in the slide? for example the firing pin or anything of that nature. I know this is a very newb question but I have looked in the tips archive and site search and could not find an answer....... and I am a newb.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Wew0001 No problem the firing pin is in a safe place in side the slide,show us some pictures of your engraving? J.J.

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As long as you are not putting any pressure on a moving part with the vise you wont hurt a thing. The vibration of engraving is to slight to be of consequence. I generally strip completely, only because on most guns I do a lot of prep finishing and don't wan't dust finding it's way into the firing pin or other areas.
Layne

Wew0001

Attachments

• initial cuff.jpg
    initial cuff.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 166
  • Crkt folder.jpg
    Crkt folder.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 166
  • wide titanium 2 .jpg
    wide titanium 2 .jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 166

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks like you're off to a fine start, just watch out for the backbone elbows, and make you shading lines in the leaves thinner and more numerous, and try a little crosshatching at the bases of the leaves.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you must be cautious when securing in your vise. don't use excess pressure, and pad the jaws with lead or leather. actually , just snug the slide a bit. a lot of pressure is not really needed.

Latest posts

Sponsors