Dental burs

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That video was a quick and dirty demo for my fixture. I appreciate the interest but I feel it would not be prudent to use this thread to sell or advertise these things, that was never my intention. However, I'm making a batch of them and when they are finished I'll put some in the for sale section.

From time to time I get an email from someone asking for one so I make them to order and don't typically keep them on hand. Once the new wore off after I first started making them I just put the tools away and made them one at a time. Maybe I should rethink that whole thing...

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Eons ago, actually maybe 8 or 9 years ago I ran across a netsuke artist, Clive Hallam that used the dental burs. He created a line of small carvers called "Shirley Temple Scrapers". Through other research I found a jig that either he or someone else used to fine tune the shaping and sharpening of the burs. If you search Shirley Temple on the Café you will also find the info on this forum. My "stuff" is bigger than netsuke so I use the 1/8 inch burs. My jig uses a pin chuck stuck in a block of maple and held in place with a set screw.

It amazes me that woodcarvers and engravers share so many processes but still they still remain so far apart in sharing information.

Latest posts

Sponsors