Dental burs

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looking for opinions on decent dental burs. I ran out of rounds yesterday and I need to place an order.
At first glance it seems Rio Grande doesn't offer them anymore nor does Stuller.
I'm open to suggestions.
I used Lasco last time but wan't very happy with the quality. Also finding the tiniest rounds was tough.
Layne

Hot Knobs

Elite Cafe Member
Have used cutters from these suppliers and had good results, profitablehobbies.com sculptingstudio.com Deane

Andrew Biggs

Hi Layne

I've pretty much given up on the dental burs and now just use standard jewellers burs in the micromotor.

More variety and easier to get. I use the .3 and .2 burs with the occasional .5

If you get them in carbide they can be recycled to make great little undercut tools for gold inlaying :)

Cheers
Andrew

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys. Dan, the burs I use are a true dental bur. 1/16 shank. Jewelers burs are 3/32. Never even thought to use standard shank rounds though Andrew. I suppose I'm just partial to the way my GRS airtool vaporizes metal with a nice sharp bur on it.
Layne

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
I agree with Tim and Dave.....make your own and Yep, it eats up metal...only takes a few minutes to make one and less to resharpen it and best of all the price is right....one stick of carbine is equal to a lot of burrs.

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I forgot all about that little sharpening fixture I made hanging out in the drawer! I made one from a 1.25" square block of ebony and a little mandrel made to hold rubber polishing cylinders. I'll give that a try again.
Thanks guys,
Layne

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
patterson dental supply. i always had good results with their diamond and regular burrs.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I forgot all about that little sharpening fixture I made hanging out in the drawer! I made one from a 1.25" square block of ebony and a little mandrel made to hold rubber polishing cylinders. I'll give that a try again.
Thanks guys,
Layne

Sounds like the same thing I make out of metal, Should do the trick. By the way, I wasn't trying to plug my fixture, just trying to help you with options. Those little carbide ball burrs from Brasseler is something Sam turned me on to when I first started fooling with an NSK and they erase background like butter. I use my home made ones for finer work, corners and such.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's just a little square aluminum thing about an inch square and 3/16" or so thick with a little collet in the center like a mini pin vise to hold a burr. It was intended to be used with a power hone.

Latest posts

Sponsors