OK, so you guys got me hooked!!!!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I tried, really tried to ignore all the the posts about the ipad pro, but I was on ebay and saw a used 128 gig, 12.9in. one with the pencil, the keyboard, cases and special fast chargers so I placed a bid and eventually won!

So now I'm waiting for delivery and trying not to go into "buyers remorse" and thinking that I bought a new toy that will be played with a few weeks and then forgotten. Having said that, I am really looking forward to seeing what this gadget can do.

I'm sure I will have a bunch of questions later, but for right now I would like to know if you can take a photo of, lets say a knife, with the built-in camera and then import that directly to Procreate and begin drawing an engraving design directly over the photo?

Also, can you import via a USB port from a scanner directly into the Procreate program?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Congrats Mark! Yes, you can bring a photo taken with the iPad's camera or a photo on iCloud into Procreate, create a new layer on top of it, and draw your design. Works like a charm. You might also lower the opacity of the photo layer so it's more of ghost image so you can see your drawing better, and bring it back later.

ipads do not have a USB port but I'm pretty sure there's an adapter. I suggest to scan from your computer, save to iCloud, import from iCloud to Procreate. Boom!

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Sam! You bring up another question though. Not being a Mac user, can I utilize iCloud from a PC? And is it a service that one pays for annually?

Mike_Morgan

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam! You bring up another question though. Not being a Mac user, can I utilize iCloud from a PC? And is it a service that one pays for annually?

There's lots of ways to get an image onto your iPad... set up an iMessage account for free, and text it to yourself! (I do that all the time)... you can also send yourself an email, and there's also dropbox.com... plenty of absolutely free ways to move images around without all those pesky cables.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The basic iCloud account is free. If you need more space you can buy it. There are other options but iCloud is Apple so it's designed to work seamlessly with Apple devices. I also use Dropbox for storage and archiving.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bruce, I couldn't do that, as it would entail undraping my wife's cat from the back of the couch where he holds court 23 out of 24 hours a day! His majesty doesn't like being disturbed.

Sponsors