Help, please: Scroll design without leaves

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi!
So this will be my next scroll design. I am in the middle of the learning curve when it comes to scrolls so I really appreciate feedback on this.
Note, I don't want any leaves in this scene because of the theme "event horizon"
I have tried different scroll designs under a two week period but I am stuck. I don't know how to do scrolls without leaves and I am not sure if I am within the "golden rule of scrolls" on the design overall either so please help me here:thinking:
The best
Mike
IMG_5570.jpg
IMG_5552.jpg

Jonathans

Elite Cafe Member
Thats a beautiful blade the Mike. Impressive work.
Your design is quite pretty, but IMO, for what its worth, lacks some natural growth qualities.
Being that the scale is sculpted with a curved spine, I would use that as a central source for my design. IMO it will lend itself well to an organic design.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Jonathans,
Yes I understand you and that would be the normal reaction.
But the center piece here is going to be that pivot circle. The ring you see in the picture is titanium witch will be anodized to represent the event horizon. I will inlay a cap sort of on that as well in heat colored zirconium witch will represent the black hole. Now everything is supposed to be drawn into that circle. There are no leaves in space and yes, the theme had to be event horizon. I could do a bulino scene with space, stars and what not but it has to be scrolls. Thanks for taking the time and for your nice words.
Mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
IMG_0130.jpg

I really like what you've designed on the top righ section. You've compromised the spirals to make them fit just below, so here's a quick sketch suggestion for you.

A proper spiral is absolutely critical. Never squash or squeeze them to fit a certain area. Find another solution.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam!
Let me see what I can do. I like your idea on the lower part.
Perhaps I should alter the upper left scrolls as well making it tighter?
The best

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I agree with The Sam. The 4 small scrolls on the right hand end of the lower panel or facet are at a 90 degree clash with the flow of the rest of the pattern, including the knife form. They keep drawing my eye away from the rest of the design, a design which I think works really well. I have used the "no leaf" form a number of times in the past.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks Sam!
Let me see what I can do. I like your idea on the lower part.
Perhaps I should alter the upper left scrolls as well making it tighter?
The best

I suppose you could tighten up the first scroll on the top left.
I'm not saying my solution is the best. Just throwing an idea out to you. There's still an awkward empty space in the center but a couple of small fill scrolls might fix that.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help! Another question that comes to my mind is, how should I shade this?
Well I know how to shade but I am thinking minimal shading so I don't get that flowerish look. To leave more white or gold so to say? Sam W. you have done it before, how did you go at it?
I will do the changes, tighten up the left side and keep you updated.
Thanks!

SamW

The shading you show on your drawing would be about all I would apply. My engravings of this kind had relief backgrounds which yours will obviously not have. They had no other shading, but there were a few very small and slender leaves thrown in with the larger tendrils which you will not want with this design/idea.

I add one of the more complex examples done about 20 years ago.

Attachments

• H1.jpg
    H1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
Sam W, that's what I figured. However I am planning to cut out the background but since you mention it, perhaps I shouldn't?
I was planning to have a deep black relief background with gold scrolls. Background representing space, gold scrolls representing glowing matter sucked into the event horizon. I know, there are probably a million better ways to do represent this scene but it has to be with golden scrolls. I was planning to do some diamond settings representing stars too but I will not go there. I have never done that yet.
Thanks

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
The shading you show on your drawing would be about all I would apply. My engravings of this kind had relief backgrounds which yours will obviously not have. They had no other shading, but there were a few very small and slender leaves thrown in with the larger tendrils which you will not want with this design/idea.

I add one of the more complex examples done about 20 years ago.

Wow!! That is just beautiful!

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
So I changed the lower parts and I think that will be just great.
I didn't squeeze the upper scrolls but added one. Is that too blurry? Perhaps I just should squeeze the left scroll to the right...
IMG_5573.jpg
IMG_5574.jpg
Ps, don't know what it wrong with my right hand in the picture, it use to be bigger:thinking:

SamW

And you need to redo your nails...hehehe.

Your idea of gold and black background sounds fine! I look forward to seeing the finished project. Can't tell for sure but in your design change the new scroll (1st one) going off to the right seems a little too small. Perhaps it fits the metal...just can't tell.

henningssom

Elite Cafe Member
IMG_5575.jpg
Yeah the nails for sure!
Well about that lower scroll going off to the right, I have filed a chamfer in the handle so my idea is to put a border dividing the different angles. I guess I could make it somewhat bigger though.
How about that scroll I smashed in between the blank area in the upper scrolls? Is it too much or du you think it could work? I could just tighten up the scrolls on the left but wanted to give it some more action.
Thanks

SamW

I think I would personally prefer the upper pattern like you first had it drawn. Just keep in mind you are the one that has to be satisfied so don't weigh our input too heavily.

Also, if you draw all the pattern including borders and anything else you have in mind you will get a better feel for what it will look like when finished.

Neat project!

mvangle

Elite Cafe Member
Personally I would remove the small scroll that crosses over the center line and feel the white space that will be left with a leaf element that stays on its side.
Very nice design over all.
Look forward to the engraving.

Latest posts

Sponsors